5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple options to obtain recovery discs

LANGALIST PLUS

Multiple options to obtain recovery discs

By Fred Langa

There's often a way to get OEM recovery disks, even if it's not well publicized; and there's always a way to generate non-OEM alternatives. Plus: A comment on built-in smartphone tethering options, software that won't uninstall cleanly, and removing phantom drives.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/multiple-options-to-obtain-recovery-discs/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great tip. I have been scratching my head after I had a usb drive be recognised and not remove itself after being unplugged. I run XP pro sp3 and it worked just fine. Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On the subject of recovery, I had a frightening experience a week or two ago. I have a self-built computer with an ASUS motherboard. I'm using the on-board RAID controller to manage a RAID 5 array with 3 WD Blue 2TB drives, giving me 4TB to work with. It's partitioned into a 500G backup drive (F with the rest for my music and videos (E. I woke up Sunday morning to discover that Windows knew absolutely nothing about an E: drive or an F: drive. A look into the storage manager quickly determined that as far as Windows was concerned, the space was unformatted. AGGHHH! To make a long story short, after several wild goose chases, I was able to completely recover both partitions AND all the data intact with a product called Partition Guru. My hat is off to this product - it saved me months of re-constructive work! (yes, I now have a complete backup of the music drive on my shiny new Seagate 3TB USB drive...). It just goes to show you, there are failures that having a RAID 5 array just can't protect you from...

Thanks
    PartitionGuru is now Easos . Free or paid, this is a good set of partition and data recovery tools.

My first rule with any new PC or device which allows it, is Create Backups for OEM! I don't make a move without burning disks or imaging the OEM condition of the PC. I also back up the contents, if any, of every external drive before formatting it or deleting anything I don't think I'll want. You just never know.

RAID is redundant, but it isn't infallible. You still need backup images stored outside the computer. Data backups are also needed, especially if you have something like a media library.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-06-14 at 08:27.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using Free Download Manager since 2005 - never had a problem with it or doing upgrades etc.

Before settling on FDM I tried a number of alternatives, freeware and payware, at the time it was, for me at least, the best available.

As it's given it has given me no problems I have to reason to change.

Like all software I install I do everything possible to make sure I have the latest version. My observation is that if you don't keep software up to date then come the time you really want to upgrade to access some great new feature, then upgrading can be a PITA.

Another thing I would note is that in Windows 7 tools like Revo Uninstaller and similar products sometimes remove stuff they shouldn't - my advice is to stay away from them on Vista and later - they were useful on XP but I'm not so sure they are now.

NW