New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010: Repeating text content controls with exceptions possible?

I'm creating a form using text content controls. This is a contract where the client's name appears several times so I'm using a text content control and pointing {REF Client} fields to propagate the client's name where necessary. However, there is one paragraph that needs to make an exception. It is:

"I am [Client's name OR Client's representative] for [Client's name], the ‘’Plaintiff’’ OR a designated full-time employee of [Name of client’s company here, where applicable], and have authority to sign documentation in these matters on behalf of ‘’Plaintiff.’’

So the problem is, I want to make the form as simple and easy as possible, but currently I only see the option of having the secretary having to find this paragraph and specifically type in the names here, especially since it appears that you cannot delete a [REF bookmark] field or its contents once a document is protected. Can't even click on one without it jumping to the top of the document to the bookmarked text content control.

Is it possible to create a form field that fills in the text from a text content control that I can delete if not needed? In this case, if the client is acting on his own behalf, then I would need to use just the bolded field. If the client was using a representative (like an attorney), then I would need to use the underlined fields. Or is there an entirely different approach I should look at? Or should I just set an easy bookmark for the secretary so that she can just type this information in.

I hope this was not too convoluted to understand.

Thanks!

Brad

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can nest fields along the lines of the following.
    {If {Ref ClientRep} = "" {Ref Client} {Ref ClientRep}}

This translates as 'If ClientRep is blank, show the client name, otherwise show the ClientRep name'

An alternative with content controls is to set this one instance of Client's name to delete the content control if it is manually entered. That way you could put the client's name in any content control and if the secretary then feels the need to edit this field then they can type anything they like there without impacting any other content.
    Last edited by Andrew Lockton; 2013-06-12 at 17:47.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

bw00ds (2013-06-12)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, you can program Content Controls so that when one is updated (as you exit the control), other Content Controls with the same tag are updated at the same time. Your exception CC could have a different tag and code that fills it with a variation of the value or deletes it when not needed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to richardbarrett For This Useful Post:

bw00ds (2013-06-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you both. I will give these a try. I'm new to Userforms and giving it a try.