Thread: D. Thrasher

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question D. Thrasher

I have a C drive that is almost full and an E drive that is 5 times the size of C available. Can I move files from C to E without causing problems for windows and if so how do I proceed? C drive is 682 MB free of 93.3 GB. E drive is 167 GB free of 465 GB.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    D.T.

I'd suggest you move your {MY}Documents folder over to the other drive. Here's How in Win 7/8.
    Highly suggest you take an Image backup of your C: drive first! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

dthrasher (2013-06-13)

Thanks
    Here is a small tool I find handy for looking at how one's drive is allocated;
    SpaceSniffer
    download_screenshot.jpg
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

dthrasher (2013-06-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have already moved My Documents to the E drive and removed My Picture to a data drive. The problem was sudden going from about 60 GB to full. This happened about 4 months past but then seemed to resolve it's self. I have Malwarebytes and MSE and they have found nothing. I removed Java because of past problems and also removed Adobe media, Quicktime and a version of IE to gain some space. I do not want to mess with the operating system because there is stuff there I don't understand. Could there be something writing code on my computer that I cannot see?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thrasher,
    Could be winsxs (DON'T mess with it), or restore images. Suggest you remove all but the latest system restore images by using System Restore Manager http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system...ndows-released, and see if that helps with space.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who gave me helpful information. I did manage to reclaim about 3 gigs of space but was still in the red zone. Today how ever I decided that I would do a re-install of windows 7.

I started the upgrade version because it was recommended.

After going through the usual scan and collecting data the install stopped because of all the updates I had a newer version on my computer.

OK, I removed the disk and when I checked my Computer the C Drive was back to where it was before all this happened.
    Did I get Lucky or did the attempted re-install do a repair to windows?