New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Optical devices not correctly identified

For as long as I have been "tinkering" with Windows PC's, every incarnation has seemed (to me) to struggle with correctly identifying the "internal" optical drive. As the consumer technology has changed, I have built many PCs for family and friends. starting with the earliest CD drives up to my current config with a Blu Ray drive in a Win7 Ultimate 64 bit tower - and my current machine still wants to tell me (sporadically) that the empty drive contains an audio CD? or the Drive itself is a CD drive. Can anyone please tell me where I am going wrong?
    Col

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Col,

It's most likely driver problems. I know on my main desktop machine every time I install windows updates Windows will no longer recognize that there is a disk in the drive. I have to go into Device Manager and delete the CD/DVD drive, reboot and let Windows rediscover it and reinstall the drivers. It doesn't work if I just go into Device Manager and tell it to update the drivers. Don't know why this happens but at least I know how to get it fixed. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

ketut (2013-09-06)