New Lounger
    Thanks

How to reinstall Win XP

Built a new computer with a 250gb SSD drive. Have a secondary drive with xp pro installed on it. Had both drives in the new computer when I installed windows 7 on new ssd drive. It also installed some windows 7 files over my xp pro. Now xp pro will not boot. I do not have my xp pro disk anymore, so what can I do?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DuWayne View Post
    Built a new computer with a 250gb SSD drive. Have a secondary drive with xp pro installed on it. Had both drives in the new computer when I installed windows 7 on new ssd drive. It also installed some windows 7 files over my xp pro. Now xp pro will not boot. I do not have my xp pro disk anymore, so what can I do?
    Question:

Was the drive with XP on it used as a boot drive previously? If it was the boot files are on that drive and may not have been installed on your SSD drive. XP uses a different boot manager than Win 7. This allows both XP and Win 7 to coexist on the same system PROVIDED that they are in separate partitions.

If you can borrow an XP Pro disc you can boot from it and run the Fixboot program from it.

Also download EasyBCD, install it, and use it to manage your boot selection.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nate01pa For This Useful Post:

DuWayne (2013-06-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes the drive with XP was my primary boot drive in my old computer. It has my AutoCad and other drawing programs installed on it. When I installed my new drive I also put in my old drive and installed Win 7 on my new drive. It did an overwrite on my XP files in the XP drive. If I put in an XP Pro disk in my CD Rom do I change the boot drive to CD Rom and leave both drive active?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes the drive with XP was my primary boot drive in my old computer.
    DuWayne,
    Hello...I would try the Easy BCD Free route first . Each separate disk ( With an OS on it) should be set to "Active". Install EasyBCD to whatever system is able to boot ...Configure it to set whichever OS that you want for a "Default" and then input the other OS and let EasyBCD do the rest. You might even be able to boot XP from your BIOS menu ...sometimes that will work.. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Already tried EasyBCD it does not recognize my xp on drive d

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Already tried EasyBCD it does not recognize my xp on drive d
    DuWayne,

Hello... Make sure that you check in...Administrative Tools> Computer Management > Disk Management That the "D" is showing up ... there is no reason that EasyBCD can't find a "XP drive" that's connected to your PC ...Make sure that your using the correct "DropDown" from my screen shot... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)