Lounger
    Thanks

Irritating unallocated Space

This question is just to solve a minor irritation, it is absolutely non-essential to my computing life. On my only HDD of 500 GB I have two partitions, C: and D: but I also have 101 MB of unallocated space which I cannot seem to get rid of (see image attached). I would like to include this space in one of the partitions, but I do not seem to be able to do that. Any suggestions?

Disk Mgmt.jpg
    Mike
    I can always use good information

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well if you're really determined make sure you have an image or at least a backup of the drive in question and then you'll need a partition program like MiniTool Partition manager or EaseUS partition wizard in order to move the C: partition to the left and put the unallocated space on the right where it can then be easily added to the C: partition.

The moving part will take some time and must be left uninterrupted until it finishes. Doesn't really seem like it's worth the time though since your space will only go from 270.35 to about 270.46.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2013-06-15)

Thanks
    Like F.U.N. says, most any decent 3rd party partition tool will do the job.

You will not be able to do it with the default Windows disk management tool.

I have successfully used the free EASEUS Partition Master 6.5.2 Home Edition in the past.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2013-06-15)

Thanks
    This is one of the cases where the disk management tool misleads, since the sizes of the partitions are "not to scale".

If you drew it to scale, the 101 MB partition wouldn't be much thicker than the thickness of a vertical line!

Annoying, perhaps, but trivial in size.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2013-06-15)

Thanks
    I have also used a 3rd party partitioning tool to successfully move my C drive into this unallocated space. I used Partition Wizard mini tool (free version).

The move has to be made outside of Windows since the data on the C Drive must be moved into this space located ahead of the OS drive. It cannot simply add the unallocated space to the C Drive. If the unallocated space is behind the drive it can just be added, but not ahead of the drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2013-06-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all above for the info and suggestions. I do believe I will just go ahead and leave the space the way it is - as BATcher says "Annoying, perhaps, but trivial in size" and I will grit my teeth and live with the annoyance .
    Mike
    I can always use good information