Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 SP1 cuts out after varying periods

Hi all,

I have a dual-boot XP/Win7 MSI M662 laptop that works perfectly well in XP but in Win7 it cuts out, switches off as if I had kept the power button pressed down for a few seconds. The time it remains workable before cutting out varies. I have disabled all of the Power Options in the Control Panel to the Never option, which didn't work. I have even formatted its patrition, clean installed and fully updated it to no avail. I then installed ShutdownGuard, which also doesn't work. I had Win7 working properly on this laptop for several years until this started happening after I had to restore a system image after being infected by a virus. The boot menu marked the Win7 entry as Recovered, which went away after the clean install.

In the Event Viewer, in the System log there are errors all to do with kernel processor power, saying much the same thing: "Microsoft Windows Kernel Processor Power" which says: "Performance power management features on processor 1 (it is an Intel Core2Duo processor) in group disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."

The only firmware used by the system is the BIOS and the firmware used by the CD/DVD drive and router. I suppose a BIOS update might work if one is available, which I doubt because this laptop was purchased new in 2007. As I said, both XP and Win7 were working properly until this happened. Any usable input would be appreciated. I have tried everything I could find about this problem on the web.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since no one here could provide a solution, I discovered a few myself, recorded here:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Fix-W...m#autoshutdown

Thanks
    Thanks for posting your findings. Unfortunately, there are times that no-one can offer a solution. You do not see this often, but it does occur.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy