Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Follow-on to hacked email thread

I have used Hotmail for years. I also have a RoadRunner email account, which automatically forwards email from there to my Hotmail account. Please bear with me, and follow the bouncing emails:
    When softie migrated me from Hotmail to Outlook, I installed Windows Live Mail, and set that up to use Hotmail (which still has RR email forwarded directly to it.)

Here's my problem: a few years back, a major publisher of "world events" had it's subscriber database hacked. Both my Hotmail and RR email addresses were part of what was hacked.

Since then, every day, I get dozens of spam emails sent to my Hotmail junk folder, where I dutifully delete them.

I have avoided changing accounts (though I have changed p'words multiple times) because I thought it would be a big undertaking to switch email addresses.)

Has anyone done such a change; and, if so, can you suggest any "easier" way to do this other than brute force?

Thanks for any help,
    Dick

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hasn't anyone faced this issue? Any help in how you resolved it would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you added the senders' domains to blocked senders at Outlook.com?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-06-20 at 10:31. Reason: typo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    There is no way to solve it, really, other than changing email addresses and trusting any spam measures available with your current provider. No easy way to deal with it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR:
    Yes, I now have 100's added; but it's like shoveling s!@# against the tide. Because my addresses are "out there" newly generated spam comes in every day. ironically, it was Stratfor that was hacked, and all their subscribers' emails were dumped into the wild.
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    R4:
    Thanks. That's what I was afraid the answer would be. I have many useful contacts that would have to be notified of any change I make. Also, many newsletter providers, etc. etc. would have to be changed.
    I guess I'll just have to keep shoveling . . .
    Dick

Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is something I did for my wife.

I have my own domain and she had a free email address elsewhere and was getting endless spam. I set her up an email account on my domain and as I host my own domain and ensure that SpamAssassin comes with it and is turned on, she falls under that. I redirected all email from her account to her new account. The spam, naturally, followed but SpamAssassin is the greatest anti spam program there is and unfortunately doesnt run on Windows (or for Macs either). She doesnt get them anymore. My own email address gets approximately 3000 spams a day. I rarely see the spam but when it is brand new it does get through around 4 to 6 times and then I never see it again and it doesnt matter if they change subject or FROM email address or both or whatever combination they choose. The gist of their email is able to be worked out and auto deleted by SpamAssassin once it has gone through those 4 to 6 spams.

In your case with Hotmail, many years ago you could do a redirect but I am unsure if you can, now. Probably not. However, it is worth asking the Hotmail help people if it can be done for the account. That way you still receive the email at your new address and if the new address includes the email going through SpamAssassin, every single day your spam will drop off to the point where you will rarely see any, within a few weeks.

I dont know if that helps you - I hope so - because the only other REAL option is kill the account and start another with another email address. Sadly, very annoying.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gregwh For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-06-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I went about it in a different way:

1. I created a new Gmail account. (Gmail has the best spam filters in the world.)

2. Rather than forward the emails in my problem account, I "pull" them from my problem account using Gmail POP3 access. (See
    https://support.google.com/mail/trou...=en#ts=1665119
    for more information.) The reason for "pulling" from Gmail using POP3 rather than forwarding from your compromised account is that it's more reliable. If forwarding happens to fail for any reason, it never tries again. If Gmail POP3 fails for any reason, it just keeps trying forever. Now Gmail collects the spam in your new Gmail account spam folder.

3. If you use client email software, set it up to access your emails from your new Gmail account. If you don't, access your email directly online at your new Gmail account.

But here's the BEST part:

4. Setup an account at http://www.knujon.com/ where they collect spam and go after the spammers to shut them down. (FYI: "knujon" is "no junk" spelled backwards.)

5. Go to http://www.submanifold.be/triade/mis...n/gknujon.html and download the "StandAlone_gKnujOn.zip" file near the bottom of the page and set it up as per the instructions included. Each time it's run, this program will zip all of your spam in your Gmail spam folder, send it to Knujon, and then delete the spam in your Gmail spam folder.

6. Run the gKnujOn ".bat" file once each day. It runs very quickly. No matter how many spams you have, it will zip them into one file, send it to Knujon where they will take care of eliminating the spammers, and then delete the spam in your Gmail spam folder.

Problem solved.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sb06794 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-06-20),friscomama (2013-06-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    now that sound interesting, how do they manage to shut them down? how successful are they?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In reply to rdgc1: This is from the Knujon website:

"KnujOn accepts abuse data in the form of spam and other security threats to develop a clear picture of conditions facing the Internet. KnujOn builds profiles of online criminal groups, evaluates the quality of Registrars and Internet Service Providers, issues WHOIS challenges, documents policy failures, tests compliance mechanisms, issues reports to law enforcement, and educates the public about complex Internet security issues. We see our role as one of assisting the ordinary Internet user in navigating the complex technical bureaucracy of the global network and augmenting public services in the face of rampant illicit electronic traffic."

Knujon is attacking spam on all fronts. For years they were just going to the URL registrars and Internet Service Providers to have them shut down illicit websites. That didn't work as well as you might expect because many of those registrars and ISPs were making money off the illicit website spammers and wouldn't shut them down. It also became a game of "whack-a-mole". Now they are also going right to the top. They are working through the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). Who is ICANN? This is from their website:

"In more technical terms, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) coordinates the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) functions, which are key technical services critical to the continued operations of the Internet's underlying address book, the Domain Name System (DNS). The IANA functions include: (1) the coordination of the assignment of technical protocol parameters including the management of the address and routing parameter area (ARPA) top-level domain; (2) the administration of certain responsibilities associated with Internet DNS root zone management such as generic (gTLD) and country code (ccTLD) Top-Level Domains; (3) the allocation of Internet numbering resources; and (4) other services. ICANN performs the IANA functions under a U.S. Government contract."

What that means is that ICANN is responsible for policing the Internet. Through ICANN, Knujon is attempting to tighten the ICANN rules for registrars and ISPs such that, if they DON'T stop facilitating spam, THEY will be shut down. Currently the rules are quite lax.

How successful are they? I have noticed a sizeable decrease in my spam since joining Knujon. However, my experience alone is far from a controlled experiment. Please read this http://knujon.com/abuseddomainstudy.html#statsChart webpage to get a better idea of what Knujon is doing and the potential for reducing spam greatly.

Stu

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sb06794 For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-08-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    live with it

white list black list works best

filtering spam in the middle will always throw away good messages
    friend lost a job offer because his isp filtered out 'spam' that was vital message to him

if you get anything good in the junk folder
    then mark it to be sent to inbox in future
    delete the rest

not that big a deal to check it once a day for any real messages
    and just delete the rest

if you know you get no good messages in the junk folder ever
    then ignore it

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that is very bad

there are many valid senders at every domain

blacklisting a domain is like killing flies with an A-Bomb
    you get the flies but do a lot of collateral damage too

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    far easier to delete spam than change emails and notify everyone you want to get mail from

then it will just happen again and again and again

try an email client with white/black lists
    move good mail to the white list
    delete the spam that is left
    repeat

unless you get a new person sending that you want
    you do nothing more but scan teh junk folder for new good mail and delete the spam daily

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    methinks you are overreacting

i get a couple hundred a day at both my email accounts
    no big whoop

i scan the junk folder for anything i want and move it to the white list and the inbox
    then delete the rest

under a minute to do it

spam happens
    you cant stop it
    you cant run
    you cant even hide

set up a white list for good messages
    scan the rest
    delete the junk
    its not that big a deal

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks