Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    that is very bad

there are many valid senders at every domain

blacklisting a domain is like killing flies with an A-Bomb
    you get the flies but do a lot of collateral damage too
    If you're going to reply to specific posts, you should click Reply With Quote not just Reply; otherwise we can only guess which specific point you're trying to address in each post.

There are many domains with no valid senders.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two things, first my anti-virus program will not accept the downloader needed to download the knujon app. Love it!!
    Second, changing e-mail addresses is a huge pain especially if everything goes into that one bucket. The answer is to set up a number of e-mail accounts. One for family and close friends. Another for established business relationships (banks, stores, suppliers, etc). Another for unverified contacts (I have one for trash@[domain name]). And so forth. If the trash account gets hit, look over the sites which are worthy of moving to a new address and then blow that address away away. Meanwhile your really important addresses are much less likely to get hit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregwh View Post
    In your case with Hotmail, many years ago you could do a redirect but I am unsure if you can, now. Probably not. However, it is worth asking the Hotmail help people if it can be done for the account.
    You can forward mail from Outlook.com to another email account at More mail settings, Email forwarding.

Bruce

Thanks
    I tried to click the "Report Post" button on that rikiSEO message (just before this one) but was refused permission to do so. Ironic that someone can post spam in a thread about controlling spam and yet I can't report it...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Backspacer For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-06-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got that rikiSEO message also, of course.

Thanks
    Looks like someone more awesome than I was able to delete it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post
    I tried to click the "Report Post" button on that rikiSEO message (just before this one) but was refused permission to do so. Ironic that someone can post spam in a thread about controlling spam and yet I can't report it...
    That's probably because it was deleted just before you reported it.

Someone reported it, since I received the email and came here to delete the post and ban the user.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    The never ending struggle.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LinusF3 View Post
    Two things, first my anti-virus program will not accept the downloader needed to download the knujon app. Love it!!
    Second, changing e-mail addresses is a huge pain especially if everything goes into that one bucket. The answer is to set up a number of e-mail accounts. One for family and close friends. Another for established business relationships (banks, stores, suppliers, etc). Another for unverified contacts (I have one for trash@[domain name]). And so forth. If the trash account gets hit, look over the sites which are worthy of moving to a new address and then blow that address away away. Meanwhile your really important addresses are much less likely to get hit.
    You do not need a "downloader" to download the gknujon app (at http://www.submanifold.be/triade/mis...n/gknujon.html). Just click on it and download. You really don't even need the gkunjon app. You don't even need an account a knujon. Anyone anywhere can just forward all their spam to KNUJON@COLDRAIN.NET . It's just that using gknujon automates the process by zipping, sending, and deleting in seconds.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sb06794 View Post
    I went about it in a different way:

1. I created a new Gmail account. (Gmail has the best spam filters in the world.)

2. Rather than forward the emails in my problem account, I "pull" them from my problem account using Gmail POP3 access. (See
    https://support.google.com/mail/trou...=en#ts=1665119
    for more information.) The reason for "pulling" from Gmail using POP3 rather than forwarding from your compromised account is that it's more reliable. If forwarding happens to fail for any reason, it never tries again. If Gmail POP3 fails for any reason, it just keeps trying forever. Now Gmail collects the spam in your new Gmail account spam folder.

3. If you use client email software, set it up to access your emails from your new Gmail account. If you don't, access your email directly online at your new Gmail account.

But here's the BEST part:

4. Setup an account at http://www.knujon.com/ where they collect spam and go after the spammers to shut them down. (FYI: "knujon" is "no junk" spelled backwards.)

5. Go to http://www.submanifold.be/triade/mis...n/gknujon.html and download the "StandAlone_gKnujOn.zip" file near the bottom of the page and set it up as per the instructions included. Each time it's run, this program will zip all of your spam in your Gmail spam folder, send it to Knujon, and then delete the spam in your Gmail spam folder.

6. Run the gKnujOn ".bat" file once each day. It runs very quickly. No matter how many spams you have, it will zip them into one file, send it to Knujon where they will take care of eliminating the spammers, and then delete the spam in your Gmail spam folder.
    why
    Problem solved.
    Out of all the discussion and suggestions regarding unwanted and unsolicited email I definitely like this solution the best. Why have so many people become complacent regarding this intrusion into your life? It's no big deal; There is nothing you can do about; you are overreacting; suck it up is what I am seeing in many of the responses. Our email accounts are ours. Although it's our personal cyber space, it is still ours, not the spammers. To continue to suck it up is to let the spammers win.

If I own a home with nice landscaping and try to keep my yard looking presentable, what would I do if I had 3000 visitors a day cutting through my yard or through my garden, or using my newly paved drive way as their personal U-turn spot? Besides being a little miffed I would defend my turf. I'd put up a fence or gate and even put in a walk way so that my lawn and garden don't get ruined by trampling. I may even put up a 'no trespassing' sign. I would locate my physical mail box in an area where the post person can deliver my mail with out trampling through my garden. I personally would not be complacent or suck it up if i had ten 'trespassers' a day let alone hundreds or thousands. Cyber space or real space, defend your turf.

I like what I read about gknujon and plan to use it. I did not know such a company existed. Thanks for the post and thanks for the gknujon post. That certainly made my day.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarCrisp For This Useful Post:

BigMtnMama (2013-06-20),Dick-Y (2013-06-20)

Thanks
    I think one reason so many put up with it is similar to mine: we don't trust automated spam filtering, no matter how good someone else might say it is. Everything that goes into my spam is not spam. Yeah, Spam Assassin is pretty good at learning spam and so is Thunderbird's junk filter. But I still find one or two non-spam emails when I go through my junk folder weekly. Sometimes they are personal, but frequently they are business - sometimes even legitimate communications from the "sales" department at my own company. I cannot just automatically delete it or forward it all to knujon, no matter how much I would like to. Especially not if my legitimate business and social acquaintances are going to be gone after by knujon. That wouldn't be right.

But I am interested in forwarding real spam to knujon's email address. I wonder if I can go through the junk filter and then highlight it all and forward it all to them in one package? Or maybe I can use their zipper/forwarder on the folder after I've gone through it?

Someone has recently started sending a whole variety of spam emails to one of my addresses and they are so varied and so legitimate in their format that Spam Assassin is not marking them and my junk filter is not filtering them. I'd sure like to see them taken down.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post
    I think one reason so many put up with it is similar to mine: we don't trust automated spam filtering, no matter how good someone else might say it is. Everything that goes into my spam is not spam. Yeah, Spam Assassin is pretty good at learning spam and so is Thunderbird's junk filter. But I still find one or two non-spam emails when I go through my junk folder weekly. Sometimes they are personal, but frequently they are business - sometimes even legitimate communications from the "sales" department at my own company. I cannot just automatically delete it or forward it all to knujon, no matter how much I would like to. Especially not if my legitimate business and social acquaintances are going to be gone after by knujon. That wouldn't be right.

But I am interested in forwarding real spam to knujon's email address. I wonder if I can go through the junk filter and then highlight it all and forward it all to them in one package? Or maybe I can use their zipper/forwarder on the folder after I've gone through it?

Someone has recently started sending a whole variety of spam emails to one of my addresses and they are so varied and so legitimate in their format that Spam Assassin is not marking them and my junk filter is not filtering them. I'd sure like to see them taken down.
    Of course you don't just automatically forward whatever goes in your Gmail spam folder to Knujon. I didn't specifically describe it, but I look through my Gmail spam folder and click the check box in front of any email that's NOT spam and then click the "Not spam" button. Gmail moves those emails to your Gmail Inbox. I do that once a day, just before I run the gKnujon program that automates the zipping, sending to Knujon, and deleting all emails in the Gmail spam folder. The gKnujon program makes it simple. Why try to do it manually???

Thanks
    Oooh. Now I see. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I really love the gknujon idea. Death to SPAM! My husband & I are thinking about making a bumper sticker:
    The more SPAM I receive
    The more I question one man, one vote

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that our lounge is using vBulletin (which is going to to be a 'set in my ways' learning curve for me), how are we to go about reporting spammers on our lounge? Just yesterday I posted a new thread under Windows General forum which now has one reply. It is a spam reply, written in Chinese (?). If someone is familiar with this vBulletin layout will you kindly post the method for reporting spam in our threads? I liked (not) spam a lot more when it was still something you could buy in the grocery store and then slapped between two pieces of bread! Where was that 'death to spam' bumper sticker back then? LOL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast