Star Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP Home reinstall

One of my office computers needs to be cleaned up. I am planning on doing an image of the drive, wiping it, and reinstalling it from the image. Is there any advice anyone can provide in doing this? I have not done this before but am confident of my capabilities.
    One of my questions is would it be better to just install selected programs from their discs or if I use the image, will it bring back much of the bloat already installed. Someone previously had selected the option to automatically compress the drive and this has led to most of the memory issues.
    Anyone have a good step by step procedure I can follow? I have the original Windows discs.
    Thanks,

Thanks
    TweakHound's: The Right Way To Install Windows XP

A step by step guide by TweakHound.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    If you do an image, wipe the drive, then restore the same image, you'll be right back to where you are right now.

You definitely should do an image before starting; but this is only to cover you if the reinstall fails in some way, so that you can get back to where you are now.

You should also copy all of your documents, your pictures, your PST files, and all other data files to an alternate location (such as an external hard drive) before starting.

Then use a program such as Magical Jelly Bean to get your activation keys for Windows, Office, etc., if you don't already have that information written down somewhere.

Now, if you're going to do a wipe-and-install, you might want to consider going with a newer OS, such as Windows 7 or 8. It will take you about as much time installing one of them as it will reinstalling XP. About the only advantages to staying with XP is that you don't have to purchase it again, and you may have old stuff that won't run in the newer versions of Windows.

You may also want to consider getting a new and bigger hard drive. Reinstalling your OS is the time to do that.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-06-14 at 12:52.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. The Tweakhound site was very helpful. I used that and had some small roadblocks, but was able to get past them with minimal difficulty. The computer is much better now and back to where it should be from a performance perspective. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Thanks
    Now is a great time to create an image of the operating system along with a boot disk of whatever imaging app your using.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good point!!! I will do that tonight