Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Changing user name

If I lookup User Accounts my User Name is shown as Roy, but in C:\Users it is shown as RoyW. How can I change the latter to Roy?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    It is not an easy proposition. Did you make a second user account? Generally the easiest way is to make a new user account, then delete the old user account.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I'm not sure I understand correctly. If I make a new user account called, for the sake of argument, John Doe, should I make it the same type of account as mine, i.e. Local Account-Administrator, or doesn't it matter? In any case, having created the new user account would I then be able to change my existing User Name in the C drive from RoyW to Roy without changing any of my user files, and then delete the John Doe user account?

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No, you create the user account name and level you want to use. Then you pick up lock, stock and barrel, and move to the new account, then when everything is working in as you want in the new account, delete the old one.

So you create user account Roy, move everything from user account RoyW to Roy, and when Roy is working as RoyW was, delete RoyW. The confusion comes when you change user name; that does not alter the profile name that is used by the operating system which can also be changed, but its easier to pick up and move to a new user account with the profile name you want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-06-21)

Thanks
    Very good explanation. It is very difficult to change a user account because of all the references through the account to that name. It is far simpler to create a new account, then as F.U.N. has stated, move everything to that account, then delete the first account.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks F.U.N.downtown and Ted, but the method suggested would need to be modified in my case, because my User Account Name is already Roy.

Should I create a second User Account called Smith, for example, and then try changing C:\\Users\RoyW to Roy, and then delete the Smith account?

Obviously I do not want to mess up everything I have done to set up Win 8 the way I want it to work, although having said that, I would make an up to the minute backup image of Win 8 before changing anything, and could always restore that image.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy,

Make your up-to-date image, then go to Control Panel > User Accounts and click "Change your account name". Change the account name to RoyW. Now you can create your new user account with the name Roy, and follow F.U.N. and Ted's advice.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-06-21)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies. I followed the procedure outlined and managed to complete it successfully. RoyW is no more!

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I followed the procedure outlined and managed to complete it successfully. RoyW is no more!

Regards,
    Roy
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a fresh drive image now, so that RoyW won't be accidentally resurrected.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren, I have already done so.

Roy Whitethread