New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Recovery Disk

I have a sony vaio laptop which came with pre installed windows 8.I recieved no serial key or recovery disk with the package.Activating windows was not a problem as it got automatically activated when i first connected it to internet.My problem is what if my HDD fails and i want to reinstall windows 8? How to manage this when i havent got any Installation CD? I know that there some "recovery disk" option but i dont know how it works.Please help me friends

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For a recovery disk: Control Panel, Recovery, Create a Recovery Drive, Next, Create a system repair disk with a CD or DVD instead.

For installation disk: How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

jacksparrow (2013-06-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BruceR.So if i create system repair disk would it enable me to install windows 8 on a new HDD? Please pardon me i am totally idiot in technical aspects.

Thanks
    The System Repair Disk is not the full installation media. You would have to follow the link Bruce has included to create an installation media.

Once you have done this, you might want to consider using Imaging to back up your entire system including all installed apps, customizations and data. Reinstalling the OS from installation media will wipe out any of the stuff you have added to the OS. Imaging will save everything you have added. There are many discussions on Imaging in the Maintenance forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

jacksparrow (2013-06-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR and Medico thanks to both of you.BTW would you recommend me this -
    http://www.runtime.org/shadow-copy.htm

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksparrow View Post
    BruceR and Medico thanks to both of you.BTW would you recommend me this -
    http://www.runtime.org/shadow-copy.htm
    It looks very old, and I don't think you need it. Use Windows 8 Fie History which can be very flexible and totally automatic.

Bruce

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

jacksparrow (2013-06-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you buddy, now i have got a pretty good idea of what i want but still some confusion remain.Ok, so i want to create the image or clone of my HDD and for that purpose i will have to buy another external HDD right? Now suppose that i made a clone of my HDD in this way and someday the original drive in my laptop collapses and i replace it with a new one, would i be able to copy the contents of the clone drive to my new hard drive? Would it enable me to use the OS as i am using it now? You must have realized by now that i am a total idiot who knows nothing about cloning and imaging and I hope you will understand me.I highly appreciate your comments my friends they are most important for me.

Thanks
    You do not absolutely have to buy an Ext. HD, but that is one of the preferred places to store Images. If you have a separate disk or partition you could use this as well, but may loose the stored Images if something catastrophic happened to the HD or PC. That's why an Ext. storage media is preferred.

I cannot speak of Clones as I use Images instead, but the main problem with transferring to a new HD is driver issues. I know Acronis TI 2013 has a second add-on (Plus Pack) that allows restoration to an entirely new PC, or new HD, etc.

I would also recommend creating new Images or a new clone regularly so that if disaster does happen you can get back to where you were in the shortest time frame. For example if your Image or Clone is 6 mos. old, how many changes have taken place since it was created. I like to keep my Images up to date.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

jacksparrow (2013-06-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, thanks for the best reply.I really appreciate it.you not only solved my problem but cleared the confusion as well.Thanks

Thanks
    Very glad I could help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted