5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about a Dim statement

I was just tidying up some old VBA, putting Dim statements at the beginning of a module, and I came across an odd problem.

I've a variable, NewPrice, which first appears in a line of VBA: NewPrice = Fund.Offset(0, -1).Value where Fund is Dimensioned as Range (in which each cell one column to the left contains a number in currency format).

On execution this line throws up a Type mismatch however I Dimension NewPrice - although it runs perfectly well if I don't Dimension Newprice at all (or Dimension it as Variant, which is the same thing) !

I've tried Currency, Single and Double so far - what am I missing, or how could I work out what VBA is expecting it to be ?

Thanks
    Last edited by MartinM; 2013-06-14 at 11:19.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The plot thickens.

I've written a bit of code to tell me what Type the VB environment thinks a variable is.

Without the Dim statement, before the offending line of VB it reports that NewPrice's Type is Empty and Fund.Offset(0, -1).Value is Double

After NewPrice = Fund.Offset(0, -1).Value it reports that NewPrice's Type is Double and Fund.Offset(0, -1).Value is Double

That is exactly what I expected.

If I now insert Dim NewPrice As Double at the beginning of the Module it reports that NewPrice's Type is Double and Fund.Offset(0, -1).Value is Double - but then I get the Type mismatch error.

Can't figure out why.

PS Fund itself is Dimensioned as Range. The code works if it is Dimensioned as Object, but I still get the Type mismatch error as above.
    Last edited by MartinM; 2013-06-14 at 14:03.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorted !

Fund was a range of cells I was cycling through.

One of the cells in the column to the left of Fund had a corrupted value, not numeric (or anything else as far as I could see).

All corrected now - and thanks for reading this thread if you got this far !