New Lounger
    Thanks

Very, Very Confused clone/image

I have been reading the posts on cloning and imaging and I am at least as confused as I was before I started reading. I don't think I have ever imaged or cloned a hdd before. I replaced a hdd in a laptop several years ago and cannot for the life of me remember exactly what I did. I may have just reinstalled everything. However, I am doing everything I can to avoid doing that this time.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite L675D running windows 7 64bit, with a 500GB hdd. The working drive has three partitions: 1.46GB hidden "System" partition, a 452.66GB main partition, and another hidden partition of 11.64GB named "HDDRECOVERY"
    I want to replace the 500GB hdd with a new Western Digital 750GB hdd. I purchased a clone kit that comes with the power supply and sata cables to connect the drive to a USB port. The system can see the drive.
    The software that came with the clone kit is Clonezilla Live. I tried cloning the drive with Clonezilla and it says it is done but trust me, it wasn't. Then I went out on a tangent and tried cloning each of the partitions from the 500GB to the 750GB. This sort of worked better in that it at least did copy most of the data, but the new drive was not bootable.
    Since then I have tried all of the following:
    EasUS Partition Master
    Acronis2013 Trial
    tih_s_e_14192.exe (which is some other version of Acronis and broke Windows on the working drive)
    Macrium Reflect
    Drive Image XML
    Shadow Copy
    WinDD
    PC Disk Clone (by PC Tools)
    Roadkil's Raw Copy (from WinHelp)
    None of which have succeeded!!!
    Here is a synopsis of what each one has done:
    EasUS - Whenever I try to use the clone disk option, it always, no matter what I have done or changed said either no destination disk available or destination disk and source disk sectors do not match and won't go any further. I tried creating new partitions on the new drive to exactly match the partitions on the working drive and then trying to clone the drive, no luck and then under the same scenario, tried to clone each of the partitions separately, no luck.
    Acronis2013 Trialcloning is not available in the trial version
    tih_s_e_14192.exe already stated what this did above. I was able to get the system back as I had a rescue disk I had made and that was able to repair Windows.
    Drive Image XML I tried a couple of options on this but since I have never made and frankly do not understand how a drive image works (which basically what this app does) I did not follow through.
    Shadow Copy Shadow copy again sort of worked in that it seemed to copy all of the files, but the drive was still not bootable (takes a very long time)
    WinDD would never recognize the new drive
    PC Disk Clone I don't guess I really ever gave this app a real chance as I moved to this one about the time tih_s_e_14192.exe screwed up Windows.
    Roadkil's Raw Copy and Roadkil's Unstoppable Copy With the Raw copy, it never offers me the option to copy the entire physical drive. It basically does not recognize the new drive as a physical drive. If it is formated, it sees the partitions on the drive but you are supposed to be able to completely copy one physical drive to another physical drive.
    With the Unstoppable Copy, it copies EVERYTHING from one drive to the other except the partitions. So basically it copies all of the files in the hidden partions and the main partition (even those hidden files) to the new drive (it took over 2 days) but then no way to know which files belong to which partition. Roadkil's app work through a bootable CD iso to a limited imitation of XP. It includes its own copy of EasUS Partition Master, Raw Copy, Unstoppable Copy, Find and Mount, and a couple of others.
    I know this is extremely verbose and for that I apologize. I just thought I would throw out as much as I could about where I am on this project.
    I know a lot of people keep touting imaging over cloning and I actually do not care one way or the other as long as I can get all of the information from the working drive to the new drive, take the working drive out and put the new drive in and boot to the new drive.
    So with that said, any and all input will certainly be most appreciated as I have been working at this for at least two weeks now.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Give EaseUS ToDo Free a shot and use Sector by sector option. This will produce a target drive of 500 gigs when done if it works but you can retroactively add the rest of the drive space back in. You might also try making an image of just the system partition and OS/Data partition, excluding the recovery partition and then restore that image to the 750 gig drive.
    If you get another mismatch error one of the partitions may indeed have non-standard sector size or something that is causing everything to fail. Don't know what you'd do about that except to start from scratch on the larger disk.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    rellimed,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

Let me give it a try from a non-technical point of view.

Clone: An exact copy of everything on the drive w/no compression, i.e. ready to plug into a mother board and boot up.

Image: A complete copy of everything on the drive but compression is used and the image needs to be restored to another device to be bootable.

File Backup: Just backs up files doesn't copy things like the boot sectors. Usually used just for data files not the O/S or programs.

I hope this will clear things up for you a little. It may not be a full technical explanation but should highlight the differences.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Either your disk has a problem (which doesn't seem that likely, since you said nothing about the inability to boot), or you are doing something wrong.

With two disks, your best bet is to create a clone of the original disk. The different packages will offer you different ways to do this, so I would suggest you pick one and stick with it. Personally, I prefer Acronis, which I have used reliably for many years, although I never used it to clone anything, since I use images for my backups.

I would recommend cloning using the automatic mode, that will clone all your partitions and make the disk bootable.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rellimed,

Using EaseUS Todo Backup, try imaging (not cloning) each partition separately, then restore them (separately) to the preconfigured partitions. Don't try to restore more than one partition at at time with this scenario. More help should be available on the EaseUS Free Forum: http://forum.easeus.com/viewforum.php?f=27

Zig

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rellimed hello.

It is confusing for sure as the terminology is not standard, it is our fault. People use "image" when they mean clone and "clone" for the vice-versa. Going back a few years, you will remember that somebody cloned a sheep and the result was an exact copy of the "mother". The same thing goes for HDs, a clone is just that, an exact copy, a mirror of the source. As you are trying to replace a HD with a larger one, go for a clone, then all you have to do is to swap the both of them, it will boot. I promise you ! The only advantage that I can see in doing an image is that you can have a large number of images on one destination HD. The trouble of then decompressing them is in my eye, a pain even it the software does it for you. But then, it will not boot. Cloning is a one step process in your case, it flushes all on the destination with all from you source HD, this is what you want to do, I presume.

Let us know how you fare. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From one retired geek to another, thanks for the clarification. I basically knew what everything was except for the details on the image process. I knew it was compressed as several people have posted they have 4-5 complete image files ready to restore. Not sure what kind of back up storage you would have to have to have 4-5 complete image files for your system. I know it took one of the cloning apps 2 days to supposedly clone a 500GB drive. And I am wanting to move to a 750GB drive.
    I guess my issue on "image" is where do you save the image file (it doesn't seem to the new drive would be a good place) and how do you get the image file to restore to a new hard drive if the computer won't boot to the new drive because it doesn't have the OS because it is still on the old drive and the image where ever that is. I have seen some info that suggests, along with the image file a bootable rescue/restore CD needs to be created so that after you boot to the iso restore CD, you restore the image to the new drive and then assuming everything went better than it has with my cloning efforts, the next boot would be to the new drive in place and ready to go. ????

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rellimed,

I save my drive images for the most part to external USB HDs. I have a 1Tb WD My Passport Essential USB 3.0 drive that I keep the last 3 images for each of 4 machines, 2 of which are dual boot. IMHO you should only use cloning if you are planning to replace the cloned drive in the machine as the boot drive. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rellimed View Post
    From one retired geek to another, thanks for the clarification. I basically knew what everything was except for the details on the image process. I knew it was compressed as several people have posted they have 4-5 complete image files ready to restore. Not sure what kind of back up storage you would have to have to have 4-5 complete image files for your system. I know it took one of the cloning apps 2 days to supposedly clone a 500GB drive. And I am wanting to move to a 750GB drive.
    I guess my issue on "image" is where do you save the image file (it doesn't seem to the new drive would be a good place) and how do you get the image file to restore to a new hard drive if the computer won't boot to the new drive because it doesn't have the OS because it is still on the old drive and the image where ever that is. I have seen some info that suggests, along with the image file a bootable rescue/restore CD needs to be created so that after you boot to the iso restore CD, you restore the image to the new drive and then assuming everything went better than it has with my cloning efforts, the next boot would be to the new drive in place and ready to go. ????
    With 2 drives, the best option is to clone, since the image cannot be saved on the destination drive and it's better not to save it in the source drive, as well (although Acronis could create a special partition for this).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess my issue on "image" is where do you save the image file (it doesn't seem to the new drive would be a good place) and how do you get the image file to restore to a new hard drive if the computer won't boot to the new drive because it doesn't have the OS because it is still on the old drive and the image where ever that is.
    I also would say that is only to be contemplated if the ToDo clone gives you similar errors, though the only chance the image has then is if the excluded partition is the one causing the problems.

The image create and restore process requires a separate partition temporarily. Of course it can't go on the target drive because that's where you want to restore the image to and it won't allow you to put the image on the same partition you create it from. Restoring is done either from a boot disc or more simply from the image/clone program running in your current operating system. Only AFTER restoring the image to the new drive would you shut down and swap out the drive just as you would after a successful clone.