New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Modules Installer causing high CPU ...

I'm having issues with 'Windows Modules Installer'.

When my laptop is idle for just under 5 minutes, WMI kicks in and really overworks my system causing it to overheat. It will keep working away, eventually causing the system to get very hot until I start using my Laptop again ... only then will WMI disappear. This issue started immediately after installing my last batch of Windows Updates.

I've uninstalled all relevant Windows Updates .... however one update ... KB2821895 will not uninstall. I don't know whether this is significant or not. Though on googling same it seems others have had problems after installing this update. Similarly, they couldn't uninstall it.

Uninstalling all the other updates hasn't resolved the issue.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Have you tried using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly? It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.
    ____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Have you tried using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly? It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.
    I've never done this before so I would be kind of wary tbh. Since buying my laptop 5 months ago and using Windows 8 for the first time, I've tweaked the system to death to get it running decently. Would I lose any of my settings if I did a restore?

Thanks

Thanks
    If you did a System Restore back to say 4 days ago, (Tuesday, before the Windows updates were released), you would lose any System changes made since then. Your personal files would remain untouched however.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    If you did a System Restore back to say 4 days ago, (Tuesday, before the Windows updates were released), you would lose any System changes made since then. Your personal files would remain untouched however.

System restore completed. So far so good.

I've now got 13 Windows Updates again. I'm thinking I could install them one at a time [but not Update KB2821895 - I'll leave that one alone]

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Thanks
    You're more than welcome.