New Lounger
    Thanks

Can Windows 7 boot manager/loader boot Windows 8 ?

Is it possible to boot Windows 8 using old Windows 7 boot manager ?

Boot manager is file "\bootmgr".
    Windows loader is file "\windows\system32\winload.exe".

Thanks
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    If you have Win 7 and Win 8 in a dual boot scenario, you can change the MBR to use the Win 7 boot loader. You can use msconfig.exe to change the default boot loader, or EasyBCD app will do the same and also offer some other features which can be very useful.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I cannot see an answer to my question until now so I will repeat it:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    If you have Win 7 and Win 8 in a dual boot scenario, you can change the MBR to use the Win 7 boot loader. You can use msconfig.exe to change the default boot loader, or EasyBCD app will do the same and also offer some other features which can be very useful.
    Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 MBR do always start boot manager from system partition.
    Your answer is not acceptable as MBR in Vista and later is not starting the loader.

Please read carefully my answer in first post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hey Guys,

Maybe this explanation will help, it even has pictures.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

bbearren (2013-06-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Guys,

Maybe this explanation will help, it even has pictures.
    Nice explanation of Win 7 boot process with images, does not answer the question.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boyans View Post
    Nice explanation of Win 7 boot process with images, does not answer the question.
    The question,
    Has been answered.

The answer is "Yes".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Text from link in "Yes":

Published on Jan 5, 2013

I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8. I'm using the Windows 7 bootloader, since Windows 7 is my default OS, and I don't really care for the Windows 8 bootloader. (Actually, I'm using the Windows 7 BCD Store instead of the Windows 8 BCD Store). The bootloader (BCD Store) is the source of the menu you see in the beginning of the video.
    Microsoft uses a boot manager and a loader since Vista to boot the OS.

Text style boot menu DOES NOT prove version of boot manager !
    Windows 8 boot manager can display text and "metro" style boot menu.
    Windows 7 boot manager has only text style menu.

Windows 7 boot loader CANNOT load Windows 8 !

The question remains - can Windows 7 boot manager boot Windows 8.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-06-17 at 13:20. Reason: Deleted objectionable comments

Thanks
    Microsoft uses a boot manager and a loader since Vista to boot the OS.
    Yes, I know.

Text style boot menu DOES NOT prove version of boot manager !
    Yes, I know.

Windows 8 boot manager can display text and "metro" style boot menu.
    Yes, I know.

Windows 7 boot manager has only text style menu.
    Yes, I know.

Windows 7 boot loader CANNOT load Windows 8 !
    I am using the Windows 7 boot manager, and I am dual booting Windows 8. Evidently this is something that you do not know, and find impossible to believe. But that is irrelevant. I am using the Windows 7 boot manager.

The question remains - can Windows 7 boot manager boot Windows 8.
    The question has been answered, a number of times, now. Watch the video closely and you might notice that there is no reboot before launching Windows 8. If the Windows 8 boot manager were being used, there would be a reboot before launching the non-default OS.

This happens because the Windows 8 boot manager allows the OS to fully boot before it displays the boot menu. If one chooses the other OS instead of Windows 8, the PC has to reboot, since Windows 8 is already loaded. I don't care for that extra reboot. I could have used MSCONFIG to change the default OS to Windows 7, but I don't use MSCONFIG to do anything, and I don't really care for the GUI boot menu, so I am using the Windows 7 boot manager in order to eliminate both. It's a simple process.

If there is something about all this that you would like further explanation for, I'll be happy to answer any question other than the one you've been repeating - that one has been answered.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks

The question has not been answered.

There is no proof until now that Windows 7 boot manager can boot Windows 8.

1. Text menu style of a boot menu does not proof that the boot manager driving the menu is from Windows 7.
    Windows 8 boot manager can also display a text style boot menu !

2. Since Vista there is a boot manager and a loader.
    It is the boot manager which displays the boot menu.
    The loader in Vista and later does not display a boot menu !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    If there is something about all this that you would like further explanation for, I'll be happy to answer any question other than the one you've been repeating - that one has been answered.
    You're not telling me anything that I don't already know. I'm telling you something that you don't seem to understand. But I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-06-18 at 06:24.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The Windows 8 bcdedit.exe includes elements and types not found in Windows 7 bcdedit.exe. One such element data type is "bootmenupolicy", with "legacy" and "standard" as options; "legacy" being the text-only menu, and "standard" being the GUI menu. However, both bootmgr's look to the BCD Store for the boot menu entries, and how those entries are displayed is relevant to the bootmgr. Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 OS's are loaded via the file Windows\System32\winload.exe located in their respective drive/partition.

Booted into Windows 7, in an Administrators level Command Prompt I tried the command "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard", with the following result:

7bootmgr.PNG

I then booted into Windows 8 and did the same, with the following result:

7bootmgrSTILL.PNG

In Windows 8, bcdedit recognizes and executes the command, but it has no effect on the boot menu. Upon reboot, I still get the text-only menu; "bootmenupolicy" is meaningless to the Windows 7 bootmgr.

This video was taken afterward. The capability to use the Windows 7 bootmgr rather than the Windows 8 bootmgr is present in both BIOS/MBR and UEFI/GPT. Bootmgr merely points to the Application Device and the Application Path. Winload.exe or Winload.efi are the agents that actually load Windows.

Unleash Windows