New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating circular text in MS Word or Publisher

I am trying to create circular text that would look like a typical postmark to use in a pictorial cancel for a stamp collecting event. Online instructions I have found mention Word Art and give directions, but the menu items do not appear in my version (2010). I can create a circle or oval and type text in it by creating a text box, but the type is horizontal, not circular. Any ideas or can the job be done in some software that is not a $600 graphics program (i.e., Adobe Illustrator)? Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If this link to Microsoft's Digital Image 2006 still works, this program has similar shaped text features that are a bit easier to use and if you are stacking elements of an image like a cancel mark on a stamp on an envelope it should be much easier to construct with this program.

Thanks
    In Word 2010 for PCs, you can do this:

Insert Word Art and type your text (Insert Tab, Text group on the ribbon). Once you've created an object, you should see the Drawing Tools Tab at the right end of the ribbon. Click if it's not already open. In the middle of the ribbon is the WordArt Styles group. There's a small glowing A drop-down menu -- this is the Text Effects menu. At the bottom of the menu is Transform. Hover over this and you should see a gallery of WordArt transformations. Circular text should be one of them -- I'd use the one under follow path as it doesn't seem to stretch the text as much as the options further down.

It's sure not as easy as it used to be. It will probably be inserted kinda flat and you'll have to fiddle with it until it looks right to you. Drag the bottom middle handle of the WordArt object to make it round. Experiment. I put one object over another - one an upward arch and one a downward arch -- in order to get a better circle.

HTH, Kim

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kmurdock For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-06-17)

Thanks
    I did text in a semicircle. I then chose Change Shape, and I was able to put it into a complete circle.

I have Word 2007.

Thanks, Kim!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, it's been a part of Office for at least 13+ years now, or at least I can personally go back as far as 2000 where PhotDraw V2 was a "member of the family"; it does the same thing, except better!!

Thanks
    You can get the Word 97-2007 WordArt dialog box in Word 2010 in any document saved as a .doc file.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    This link given Word 2003 instructions and menus even though 2010 is in the title.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin