Thread: Bad Drivers.

Thanks

Bad Drivers.

Hi Loungers,

Have you used this app to find & fix bad drivers ???

RR.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

satrow (2013-06-17)

Thanks
    Nice find George, I have it here amongst Nir's other tools but never noticed it!

Careful with it, some 'bad' drivers may only be bad because another driver triggers it. For BSOD-related bad drivers, see Common BSOD related drivers, some of these will cause problems with other drivers. One thing that's missing in ServiWin is a 'Modified Date' (Release Date) column, it would tie in well with BlueScreenView's 'Time string' (DriverView also has the Date Modified option) and the output from WinDbg. Version strings are not as easy to recall as dates.

There's generally little to no Microsoft bad drivers these days, concentrate on the 3rd party drivers, Options > Show only non-Microsoft drivers (I'd prefer it if there were 2x options there, one for Windows drivers (from the DVD and Windows Update), and non-Windows Microsoft drivers (MSE, Live, etc.) like Autoruns does.

Thanks
    Thanks satrow. I have attached one file where the driver shows as Critical, their are others. Should I worry about it, and if so, what can I do about it. The red text is the column header with related info in black. ServiWin.docx

Thanks
    The driver classifications, like Critical, aren't any kind of comment on how 'good' they are; critical in this context means that it's considered critical by Windows like the main drivers for access to the data drives; if it incurs a problem, Windows would be forced to shutdown or be left in a vulnerable state. So, for most people, the default setting for looking at the drivers loaded in ServiWin should be with Microsoft drivers hidden.

If a file is flagged as 'Normal', Windows can continue to work without it, either by restarting the driver or by flagging it in Device Manager and not using it (This device cannot start, Code 10, etc.). A driver flagged as 'Ignore' would be something that doesn't get close to the Windows kernel, usually 3rd party 'utilities' and the like.

Thanks
    So I have nothing to worry about. My pc's are both running well.

Thanks
    I guess so but it's sometimes a combination of drivers that causes problems; check your non-Microsoft drivers against the list of BSOD related drivers here: http://carrona.org/drivers/bsod_drivers.php

Thanks
    Thanks satrow. Have looked at your link 'Too complicated for me'

Thanks
    It may feel complicated now but next time you're troubleshooting a driver bug, you'll have more clues to look out for

Down the lower left side of that link there's a list of drivers that are known to be bad. If any of your drivers have the same name as those listed, click the link to find further details (check and compare the driver dates especially), etc.

The last entry there (xusb21.sys, the XBox controller driver for Windows) highlights the problem of not splitting Windows drivers from other Microsoft drivers, to see it listed, you'd have to scroll through the full list of drivers - you'd also need to do this with Autoruns, as it's listed there as a Windows driver (wrongly I think, it should be under Microsoft as it doesn't come as part of Windows (W7 and earlier at least)).

Thanks
    OK, noted for future reference.