2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Start Programs shortcuts gone

I have a fully up to date XP Pro

I donít know what happen but I switch on this afternoon and went to Start / Programs and most of the short cuts were gone.

The menus are not closed up

Lucky the ones I use most are on the tool bar at the bottom of the screen

Go into C: Programs and the programs are still there

I cannot try a System restore there is not short cut to it.

How can I get the short cuts in Start / Programs back

Oldn
    Last edited by oldn; 2013-06-17 at 11:21.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Oldn,

Here's a handy guide to XP System Restore from BleepingComputer. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Don't take this question the wrong way -- it sounds like a stupid question -- but, did you log in on the same user account this time as when you did see your icons? If you logged in on a different user account, you won't see the same icons; the only ones you'll see under both accounts, other than Windows system icons, are those in "all users".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for getting back to me

RetiredGeek I have now done a System Restore, and it did not work. I copied some of the missing system icons from another computer and put them in Start / Programs / they worked, that is how I was able to do a System Restore.

Mrjimphelps I have only one User Account, plus not all system icons were there, I have replace a number by copying from another computer, but not all the programs are on the other computer.

Oldn

Thanks
    Can you open the app's folders in Windows Explorer and create a Shortcut of the .exe file that opens the app, then move the created shortcut to your desktop or Start Menu? This should create new Shortcut's to those that disappeared.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-06-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for getting back to me

Yes I have gone into C: Programs and made some short cuts, it will be a long job, there are two programs I will have to reinstall because I cannot find the exe file.

I cannot understand what happened

Still thanks again

Oldn

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you ever check the All Users start menu shortcuts folder? It depends on what the default is for a program when installed if not specified, but most times the shortcut will go there and not into your user account start menu shortcuts (again unless specified or the default is only for the installing user). I only have a few in my user account start menu but dozens in the All Users start menu folder.
    So you should check there if you haven't just to verify those are missing or that your user account has been cut off from them for some reason.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-06-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to Tweaking.com and download Windows Repair (All in One) v1.9.14, which fixed one for me just like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Rhino For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-06-24)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've heard of at least one buggy program uninstaller that has this side effect (deleting all programs from Start->Programs). Did you uninstall anything just before the problem?

Which wouldn't help you fix it of course, just avoid it in future and maybe tip off others.

Yet another example of why everyone should do regular full partition backups to at least one (approx. $100) external hard drive. If you'd done that you could easily recover the Start menu entries. Imagine how you'd feel if your hard disk had failed irrecoverably (as they often do) and you'd lost everything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbadsteve For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-06-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I see it this could be caused by one of two problems.

1 This issue occurs if the value of the Common Start Menu registry entry is inaccessible or if the value is not valid. In this case, Windows XP cannot initialize the program shell.
    There is a hotfix available to fix this problem from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941248

2 You have had a Trojan that has moved the files to windows temp locations and hidden. They are likely to have been moved to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp.

These will be there unless you have removed temp files / folders

Download and run Unhide from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/unhide/

There might be three numbered folders inside C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp folder. The folders will be numbered 1, 2 and 4.

Inside the 1 folder is a folder named “Programs.” This folder should be copied / pasted to (using XP) to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu, which will already have a folder named Programs but it is safe to overwrite it since Windows will replace the subfolders without creating duplicates.

Inside the 2 folder are the quick launch items specific for the user. Select ALL of these shortcuts and copy / paste to (using XP) C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

Inside the 4 folder are the desktop items that should be copied to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.

Hope this helps
    Davvo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Davvo For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-06-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for getting back to me chaps, sorry it was not earlier but I have been away.

Medico this is what I have been doing plus making 2 copies.

F.U.N Downtown I checked the all Users there were only the system icons there, which I had already coped of another computer.

Jerry Rhino I have now replaced all icons but I will download Windows Repair in case I happens again.

Bigbadsteve No uninstall or installing I do back up of data etc to another hard drive but the system back ups are 12 months old, but I thought it would be quicker to just replace icons, but when I make sure it will not happen again I will do a new system back up.

Dawo
    1 I will look at the hotfix
    2 I have run AVG and Supper Anti Spyware that should have cleared anything there; I have just checked the C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temp\ they were not there or folders 1,2, and 4.
    The icons
    The icons on the tool bar, the ones I use most were still there
    The icons on the desk top were still there

Thanks again chaps

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you happen to check the Recycle Bin? I once had that problem and they were all there. All I had to do was to restore them from the Recycle Bin. I think I was even able to select multiples to restore.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No Garverr I did not it never thought about looking there, as I empty it about every week or so they would be gone by now, but it is an idea worth remembering

Thanks