Lounger
    Thanks

Saved document not showing up on recent docs list (Word 2010)

Hi folks,

One of my medical writers worked extensively on a document this morning, saving her work ever few minutes to our shared area.

The document is now missing, i.e. it's not showing up in the folder where she saved it. Normally I'd write it off by saying she saved it someplace else and didn't realize it, except that the document also isn't showing up in her Recent Documents list either, in Word or her Start menu.

Any idea what could be causing this or a way to recover this document?

I know it sounds like user error. This is someone I've seen work and she knows better (she literally saves every 5 minutes, like clockwork), PLUS she was working with someone watching her. That person swears she saw the saves happening.

Thanks in advance,

Beej

Thanks
    Check the Word autosave files. You can determine if the file is there by looking at the date and time of the various autosave files, and selecting whichever one has a date and time of a few minutes before she lost the file. You might get lucky and find it.

Look in your Word setup to see where it is saving the autosave files.

Thanks
    Search the hard drive for the document name.

Nothing I know of that will change both Word's MRU list and Windows Recent.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    My autorecovery folder is C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word. I found two documents there:

AutoRecovery save of Document2.asd (with time and date of 16 minutes ago)
    ListGal.dat (dated 2012)

My guess is that the first one is the one I need, because the date and time were about right. As a test, I copied the file, and then renamed the copy to "doc2.doc". I then double clicked on doc2.doc, and like magic, the file I was working on a few minutes ago opened before my eyes!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

ItsjustBeej (2013-06-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is there any chance that a different user login was used on the same machine?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    mrjimphelps' solution worked like a champ and made me look really good to my new boss. Thanks!!!

Still no idea why the file didn't show in recent documents or the share but she was happy we could recover her work.

Thanks
    Make sure you set Word (and Excel and other programs) to auto-backup the file every couple of minutes. Also, get in the habit of, every few minutes, clicking on the little floppy disk icon so as to save a copy of the file. And under Word Options / Advanced / Save, tell Word to always save a backup copy.

By doing all of the above, you will increase your chances in the future of looking really good to your new boss once again.

One other thing you may want to check out: Memeo. Memeo is a program which does continual auto backups of all files in the folders that you specify. It first does a complete backup of everything in those folders; it then monitors those folders, backing up any files which change, as soon as they change. It can keep up to five versions of each file; I believe the default is three versions.

You can access the Memeo archive using Windows Explorer. The files are not compressed or encrypted in any way; you can copy stuff out as needed. You'll be a big hero, when your boss loses something, and you then recover it from the Memeo archive.

Only thing is that you should keep the Memeo archive on a different drive than the normal working drive. It this way, if the drive crashes, all of the important stuff is on a different drive.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-06-20 at 14:10.