Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Hard Drive performance after upgrading from 2TB to 3TB

Good day to all.

I recently upgraded one of the data drives on my Win 7 Pro system from a 2TB WD "Green" 2TB drive to a nice, shiny Seagate 3TB drive. The original drive was initialized as MBR and formatted as a single, large partition; the new drive was initialized as GPT and also formatted as a single large partition. After swapping the new drive in place of the old drive, I temporarily connected the old drive to a spare SATA port and copied the data over to the new drive. Then the old drive was removed from the system.

I'm now in the process of ripping more of my DVD collection and I notice that the writing of the ISO file is taking at least 2 to 3 times longer than it used to.

Let me explain. I use Slysoft's CloneDVD2 to rip my DVDs to ISO files. This is a two-part process - first, the DVD is read and saved to a temporary folder on the "D" data drive, then the data is packaged up as an ISO file stored on the "E" data drive. The first part of the process is taking the usual amount of time (8-14 minutes) but the second part (the writing of the ISO file) is taking around 30 minutes instead of the usual 8 - 12 minutes.

I'm wondering a couple of things.

1) What program would experienced users suggest for measuring the performance of my new drive? I'd like to get both read and write benchmarks and see if they are reasonable.

I am aware of a program called "HD Tnue Pro" but it costs $35 for a license and I'd really rather not spend that money for a program that I may use only this one time.

2) Is there something in Windows that needs to be changed because the drive went from MBR to GPT or because the drive went from 2TB to 3TB? What facilities does Windows have for optimizing hard drive speed? Note that I am NOT talking about the usual defrag stuff, rather, I'm talking about low level utilities or registry settings.

Do note that the new drive is occupying exactly the same place as the old - same SATA port, same drive letter.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Many thanks!

dwayne

Thanks
    The best solution for you would be to get a second SSD drive and dedicate it exclusively to video encoding.
    I assume you already have a SSD running as your primary OS drive[??]

These large 2 and 3TB drives aren't much good for anything other than storage.
    They certainly can't perform nearly as well as a solid state drive in terms of speed.

I have a similar setup on my system whereby I use a PCI based SSD exclusively for video encoding and other
    related tasks that are heavily read/write based. You'll notice significant improvement over a mech drive, even the fastest mech drives.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dwayne,

First off if you want to benchmark the drives against each other you can use the older HD Tune 2.55 [Free], its not as new and shiny but it will get the job done and will give you the read/write stats to compare.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Could you give us the model number of the Seagate drive? it should be displayed in HD Tune to make it easy. The MBR/GPT won't change anything in relation to read/write speeds. Another question, did you use the standard Windows 7 Disk Management utility to initialise the new hard disk and create the GPT partition? Just checking if a 3rd party software was involved or not.

I will wait for your reply before going any further

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JDB1984 For This Useful Post:

DwayneR (2013-06-19)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there.

Its a Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB drive, 7200RPM, 64MB cache. System is configured for AHCI as opposed to regular IDE mode - I went with AHCI for the hot-swap capability on the SATA ports. The drive was initialized completely on this computer using the built-in Windows 7 tools (the disk management snapin).

Things just didn't seem right, so I went right back to the beginning. Re-ran the Win 7 disk defrag - this took somewhere between 24 & 48 hours but didn't help. Then I carefully looked at the setup for CloneDVD2 and found a definite problem: the temporary folder that holds the ripped files prior to them being packaged up as an ISO had somehow, mysteriously, started using the temporary folder on drive E rather than drive D. I know from experience this causes slow disk performance - it takes a lot of time to move the drive heads between different folder locations of the drive and these are big files. And I don't know how it got changed - I've done some routine maintenance on this machine over the past couple of weeks (disk image and such) but nothing that should have affected the settings in ColneDVD2.

Bottom line: I changed the temporary folder location back to drive D and things are *much* better - I'm now seeing ISO creation times of a couple of minutes instead of almost 30 minutes. Its also faster than the old hard drive - that was a WD "green" 2TB drive running at about 5400 RPM.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and thanks also for the pointer to the old version of HD Tune - I'll go and grab it while I'm thinking about it.

dwayne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dwayne,

Glad you found the culprit to the issue. Sometimes software can react a little erratically when storage devices and drive letters are adjusted. I'm sure you are a lot happier with the performance because as you say the new drive has much more performance potential than the WD green drive ever would. Not to say they are bad just not a performance spec'd device.

Cheers,
    JDB