New Lounger
    Thanks

Dual Boot Win7/8 - Win 8 goes black after a short time

I've recently installed a dual boot, Windows 7 and Windows 8. The installation went fine but then after a very short time my Windows 8 Screen goes black. I had to press the power button to exit. When again rebooting into Windows 8 the "blue window" shows and the spinner goes around for about 20 seconds, then all goes black.

I've checked the Power settings and ensured the "Turn off display" was "never". I also updated my Video drivers thinking that might be the problem. Both to no avail. I've done a "Refresh" and a "Reset (which took 3 hrs). Again, all was fine for a short time, but while exploring the OS, again the black screen. Would anyone know what else I could try to fix this Windows 8 problem. Thanks so much.

Thanks
    It sure sounds like the Win 8 installation did not install properly. Are you using a Full Install OEM Win 8 disk or and Upgrade Install media? If upgrade, did you Clean Install or Upgrade Install? Did you buy a disk or download the ISO file? If you downloaded the ISO file did you create an installation media (burn the ISO file to DVD or Flash Drive)?

It might be time for a complete re-installation. Use the installation media and as a part of the installation, format the partition (drive) you are installing to. To do this, start the installation. When asked whether to Upgrade or Custom, choose Custom. On the next screen, use the Advanced (Drive) Options link. Highlight the Win 8 Partition (Drive) and choose Format. Be sure to choose the correct partition, don't want to format your Win 7 installation. Once the format is complete, the Win 8 Custom Install will continue.

It has been found that in most cases, Win 8 has a larger data base of drivers than Win 7. It would be surprising if a bad driver is causing your issue. Usually when we see bad graphics drivers, you might not see the features your are accustomed to or some other symptom, but not a black screen. I suppose that is possible, but seems unlikely. I would think that a newer disk or download of Win 8 would include all the latest certified drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I installed a dual-boot of Windows 7 / Windows 8. But the way I did it will, I am certain, prevent any sort of conflict or issue between the two:

I put Windows 7 on one computer, and Windows 8 on another computer. I dug an old A/B switch out of my junk pile, and connected both computers to the same monitor / mouse / keyboard. I shared the hard drive of each, so that the other computer could see it.

I know most people don't want to set up two computers, but for me it was a no-brainer, because someone gave me a computer which was just like the computer I already had, and I already had an A/B switch.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico. Yes I used a Full Install OEM Disk. But I'll do a total re-install by reformatting the partition it's currently installed on first. I should have realized that perhaps initially it was a bad install. Good call!

And thank you mrjimphelps. I understand the two computer, one monitor solution. And indeed it would prevent any conflict. WOW an A/B switch. I haven't though of one of those in years. It would be nice if I had an extra computer. Very good way to handle it though. Thanks again.

Thanks
    I have found that the Reset or Reset function, although theoretically work, take quite some time to complete, then in some cases it does not work. I suspect this is caused by something remaining of the original corrupt install. I just feel the format and reinstall gives a more pristine installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy