2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

one old program doesn't recognise RAM

I have Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium (8 GB of RM) and it is behaving very well, and has no RAM problems - until I try to use an old programme, which used to run fine on Windows XP (it is the original version of Garritan Personal Orchestra [GPO] (2004 vintage)).
    It will play (as a plugin for FInale 2012), but whenever the instruments are loaded in, GPO sends out a low memory warning, and eventually, after a successful playback, the problem becomes evident as various tracks suddenly fall silent and the successful playback cannot be repeated.
    It may be time to upgrade to a more modern version of Garritan, one which understands the 64 bit setup, but before I do, maybe someone can give me insight into the way Windows assigns memory to these slightly incompatible old programmes and whether there is any way round it?
    I wouldn't want to upset the rest of the system for the sake of this old programme, but it would be nice to find a way around it.
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Thanks
    There's no guarantee whatever that a 32-bit program will run on a 64-bit operating system. Many/most will do, but I suspect your GPO isn't one of them, and a newer version might be necessary. Have you tried contacting their technical support for a more informed opinion than mine?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    If there is an upgraded version of the program available then that will be the way to go.
    It will be more likely than not that the program in question is just plain incompatible with Windows 7.

If there is no upgrade forthcoming for the program then you might try speaking to a support person.
    It's possible that they may have a work-around or an update, if the program is not too old. (Greater than 5-10 years)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried changing the OS in the 'compatibility' tab (this would be a work around)?
    If the app ran fine on XP, was it a 32 or 64-bit version?
    Remember, Microsoft does not ensure backward compatibility when they release a new OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments, all :-)
    In the end I decided to get the new Garritan Ultimate, since it has a wider range of instruments in any case. - Just watching the tracking on DHL right now :-)
    Winsong, yes, thanks, I did think about compatibility-install - it has worked for other programmes (even Edirol whose tech support claims it won't run on 64 bit - but it did!), but I won't bother now for the old Garritan.... :-)
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo