Star Lounger
    Thanks

Once upon a time in cyberland ...

Once upon a time in cyberland life was good. Even for folks like me who cannot afford a fast Internet connection. Web pages would load in a reasonable amount of time. Every web page would work correctly in Internet Explorer. Font sizes were generally sized properly for easy reading. There were no annoying layers of ads. We also enjoyed the effectiveness of the Internet Explorer pop-up blocker. In addition most web pages were designed in such a way that all elements of the page actually fit within the borders of the browser window without having to scroll and without having to maximize the browser window.

Alas, life has changed. We now have to wrestle with browsers to get even basic information.

Many web sites will no longer work with Internet Explorer (for example see http://www.smartmetertexas.com/). Adblock Plus and Clearly help for Firefox, but there seems to be no equivalent for Internet Explorer.

The pop-up blocker no longer works on many web sites.

Many web sites, take much longer to load due to excessive use of complicated graphics and videos. Complicated, moving graphics on some pages creates headaches for old people like me due to their constant motion.

One can no longer do a Google or Bing search for freeware and actually get hits for freeware.

Then there are the pop-ups that pop up when you simply move your mouse over them and get in the way of fill-in-the-blank forms.

Videos that start when I don’t want them to such as http://cindisnydeli.com/.

Scroll boxes on web pages where you have to wrestle with both the scroll bar on the web page AND the scroll bar for the browser window.

Why do we put up with this nonsense? Where are we headed? Am I the only one who is outraged?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I guess I do not see the problems you see. The first site opened quite nicely if not a little slow, but this is most likely a problem with the site. I have found very few pages that are not rendered properly by IE, but then again I have not visit all web sites. It appears the second site just does not wish to close and opens several new copies. Again this is the site coding, not the browser. Many questionable sites also have this problem. They just do not want to give up.

I do searches quite often and do find freeware. The problem I have with freeware as it ends up not being free when the piggybacked apps start popping up. You really have to be careful to opt out of all the junk. Again this is NOT a fault of the browser, but the freeware sites selling to other developers to allow this piggyback. This can be invasive, but is invasive with all browsers.

You can add tracking protection to the more recent IE versions that act similarly to AdBlock.

The scroll bar issue is just a product of the large web pages we see all around the web. The scroll bars within the web page are again the product of the developer's of that web page adding these features. Again, this is not a function of the browser, but the web pages. Developers are trying to cram more content on each page and this is the result.

My pop up blocker seems to work quite well. This combined with the tracking protection blocks almost ALL pop ups. They even block some pop ups I desire until I advise the browser to allow these pop ups.

So I guess most of what you are seeing are the result of the page developers and the site coding rather than the browser. Now if you said the browser seems to be blocking more questionable pages, that is probably true because the newer browsers do provide more security from these things.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-06-19 at 17:21.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bwc (2013-06-19)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep.

You've identified the problem. There are many, many web sites that are very, very poorly designed. And we tolerate it! I know it's too much to hope for, but it sure would be nice to have some kind of self-policing body where good web site design standards are celebrated including a consistent size for fonts and minimization of scroll & click. If sloppy web sites were exposed hopefully most reputable sites would get in line with the standards.

Thanks
    Unfortunately, there is not likely to be any such policing to try to force developers to write code that actually works properly for all browsers. And this policing, if it existed at all, might force legitimate developers to try to "toe the line", but would do nothing for all the illegal developers who write bad code on purpose.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So why to we tolerate such shoddy work?

There are many efforts underway on the web such as petitions and organizing to correct social injustices like the oppression of the 1% over the 99%. Why is there nothing to clean up the vast wasteland of the wild, wild, west that is the Internet? After all, the Internet is the foundation for everything.