5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

An application for overcoming password bloat

BEST SOFTWARE

An application for overcoming password bloat

By Michael Lasky

Good security dictates multiple passwords. Going well beyond the typical password manager, Dashlane is a password system. Plus: An app that speeds up file copying/moving and another that reduces the size of JPEG files with little-to-no loss in resolution.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-software/an-application-for-overcoming-password-bloat/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2013-06-19 at 15:08.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

floryj (2013-06-22)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am surprised you did not consider RichCopy from Microsoft for copying many files and large files. It is an unsupported product but does work well. The application can run multiple copies at the same time and is much faster than the standard windows copy operation. It will also not terminate because of file problems. The biggest benefit is that the application can be configured to only copy files that have changed. That saves a lot of copy time. Do a search on RichCopy on the Microsoft site, give the application a try. I think you would like the application. And it is free.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rayt435 For This Useful Post:

Chichak (2013-06-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Michael,

You wrote, "Dashlane never actually sees the accumulated passwords in your vault; they're all stored locally, encased in (so far) hack-proof, military-grade, AES-256 encryption."

If I understand you correctly, it's all on your own hard drive. So WHEN your hard drive goes blooey, and you know it will because they all go blooey sooner or later, you are in deep doodoo. I guess you have to write them down and hide them in some out of the way place - you'll forget where - when you need it most.

No thanks. Or am I missing something here.

New Lounger
    Thanks

OneNote Mention

The brief mention of OneNote was a little vague. That program which I discovered when starting to use it on my new job is a fantastic tool to say the least! I use it to keep numerous technical notes, create shortcut links to documents, ability to take screen shots and directly send them to OneNote OR paste them where ever, and as you mentioned the checkbox to do list ability which is one of my most used tools. I work with a very complex but powerful tool on my job which has forms with a large number of fields, I created a checklist template against the forms fields and voila', I have a job aid which reduces the complexity and enables efficiency by not missing the required fields (I used the red blocks to mark those). It would be a great service if one of you penned an article about OneNote and its power and usability. Thank you for all the great articles, keep them coming!
    Last edited by floryj; 2013-06-22 at 15:17. Reason: Change word for pronoun use
    Best regards,
    FloryJ

"We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to floryj For This Useful Post:

Chichak (2013-06-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: JPEGmini. I'm a long-time photographer and have spent a lot of time "looking" at images in digital format. I now take hi-res JPEGs along with RAW files because I know that if you want to work with an image, eg. cropping, enhancing and so on, the larger the size of the image, the better. I actually can see a "small" difference in the two images. The re-compressed image is "sharper" which means it is more pixelated. I don't know about tone quality as that is totally subjective and also depends on the monitor calibration and GPU. The only reason I might want to reduce the size of an image is for faster uploading or sending as an attachment. Windows already has a built in re-size function in pixels when you select an image to send by e-mail. I use it a lot. Or you can use Irfan View (free) which can do a lot more to/for images. I would prefer to use a single application instead of a package of unrelated functions especially things which are designed specifically for a purpose. I suppose it is a personal thing but I would be unhappy if something happened to someone's images/files accidentally.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is why I have read Windows Secrets for a large number of years including when it was called LangaList. I don't remember the correct relationship. Although I've worked with PCs for several decades and programs on big iron in university, I haven't run across RichCopy. This is typical of Microsoft. Much of the info is totally obscure even though some is excellent as well as free (okay, you have to buy an WOS). So thanks rayt435

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chichak View Post
    This is why I have read Windows Secrets for a large number of years including when it was called LangaList. I don't remember the correct relationship. Although I've worked with PCs for several decades and programs on big iron in university, I haven't run across RichCopy. This is typical of Microsoft. Much of the info is totally obscure even though some is excellent as well as free (okay, you have to buy an WOS). So thanks rayt435
    Actually, Windows Secrets was started quite a few years ago by Brian Livingston, under the name Brian's Buzz. I have subscribed for all this time, and welcomed new contributors, especially Fred Langa. He is indeed a valued contributor.

Now, as for TeraCopy, I use it with Windows XP and Windows 7, and it has lots of SUPPORTED features, which run circles around anything else I have encountered until Windows 8 came out. TeraCopy is one of the two most useful third-party programs I have ever used, next to CCleaner. TeraCopy has served me and many of my fellow Windows users very well for years.

In Windows 8 I find TeraCopy unnecessary, as native Windows 8 file transfers have been greatly improved over previous Windows versions. Not to mention a much better and clearer visual presentation of the progress of pending and queued file transfers. So while I still like TeraCopy very much, I dropped it from my Windows 8 installation.

One Windows quirk still bugs me regarding file transfers, and this is the assignment of drive icons to external USB drives. They all look the same! With many partitions scattered over several drives, this can become quite confusing. My solution is "8 Drive Icon Changer", and I put its title in quotes, because it works just as well in Windows 7. This freeware utility allows drive icons to be assigned to external partitions, so that I can in this way visibly label groups of partitions as being on one drive, and others as being on a different drive. This avoids much confusion as to which partition is on which physical drive, without having to read through all the drive labels each time I go to move or copy a file to a backup location (or two or three, as Windows 8 allows). 8 Drive Icon Changer works with Windows 8 Pro on my laptop with all current Windows 8 updates installed. For a "beta" utility, this is as good as it gets. The icon assignments are not permanent, but they last through the current session.

While Windows 8 does queue conflicting file transfers, it often can handle more than one transfer at a time, simultaneously. This greatly speeds up archiving to multiple external locations. I haven't seen TeraCopy do this trick ever, even under Windows 8. Maybe there's a setup for TeraCopy which can do this, but I haven't found one yet. And I don't need such a setup, as long as Windows 8 can natively do what I used to need TeraCopy to handle.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-06-23 at 15:43.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JPEGmini is an interesting option, probably useful for many purposes, but I'd say it's going a little too far to describe its cost as "a minor, nearly imperceptible loss in color tone." In the example of the two penguins, the oranges along the left penguin's beak lose much of their shading, the orange at the back of the head becomes yellow, the colour under its chin loses its richness, and the yellow down near its flipper almost disappears. Since most of the rest of the picture is mainly blacks and whites, it's hard to say how a truly colour-rich image would fare, but the fact that such a colour-poor image is given as an example is grounds for skepticism. So, yes, if you require only a casual approach to authentic colour, then JPEGmini could be very useful. Otherwise, study your results carefully.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Michael,
    Your article about Dashlane is interesting indeed, but you didn't explain why you switched from LastPass. I didn't find any features in Dashlane missing in LastPass... I think I'll stay with the latter!