2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Word Autocorrection

In W97 I had an autocorrect to take 5degc and make it 5*C (where the * was the degrees symbol). This worked without needing a space or punctuation to indicate the end of the entry, which was helpful with this particular entry. Now in W2k, I have to punctuate the end of the entry for the correction to take over.
    Can anyone explain if this is a new "feature" or can I set it back to W97 methods?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Autocorrection

Hi David:

I skipped from 95 to 2000 (Wow! I lost 5 years without realizing it[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]). However, as far as I know, you always had to put in punctuation or a space before AutoCorect would act. Otherwise, how would it know that you were finished with the word.

Are you sure that it wasn't an AutoText entry, where you pressed F3?

If you're disturbed by added punctuation messing up your autocorrect, do this:

1. type 5*C (where *=degree symbol) & select it.
    2. Go to Tools/AutoCorrect & it will open with 5*C in the "with" box.
    3. In the replace box, type 5degr)

The ) at the end will activate the autocorrect, & will replace iteself [the )].

You can use this technique for any autocorrect in which you do not want a space or punctuation after. You could use any punctuation mark that you wished; just make sure that you'll never want to have the punctuation follow the correction (actually, you can reverse the last change with Ctrl+Z anyhow).

Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Serves me right for taking so long to post this question after I had the problem.
    What's changed is that I now have to type 5 degc instead of 5degc. Word won't recognise the degc if it doesn't have a space in front as well - and I don't want a space! I want 5*C.
    Any idea why this worked in W97 but not W2k?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

David, this doesn't answer your autocorrection question, but I use the degree symbol very often, and I have found that the quickest way (2 keystrokes) to enter it is ctrl-shift-@ and then spacebar.

Fafner

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FIXED! - Re: Word Autocorrection

Wonderful how they document these features!
    I re-entered this autocorrection definition, setting it to be formatted text as I had originally, and bingo - it works without a space before it! so 5degc is 5