Creating a Letterhead (word 2001 - Mac)

Hi - First let me say I am not sure that I am in the right place for this question - but if I am thanks for giving me your time.

I am trying to create a Word file that when opened is our company letterhead in position. I originally created the letterhead in PageMaker but reworked it into a Word file so everyone in my company could use it. I found I had 2 problems.

First the logo does not link with the original .eps file except on my machine - where the logo resides. So it prints out very pixelated. Even if I put the logo onto another computer and then tried to open the template - it does not print out properly.

Secondly - in trying to create this template - the idea was that someone could open the template - type a letter and then either print it out or attach the file to an e-mail. The first problem with this is that the letterhead is not protected. It can be edited which I do not want to happen. I just want the area where the letter is to be typed to be accessible to the user so that they can not alter the letterhead design. I tried to deal with these problems in several ways. I created an .eps file out of the original Pagemaker file. and tried to place/insert it into the word Doc. That did not work. Then I thought if I re-created the file as a Word doc then all I would need to do was try to find a way to lock the letterhead text or put it into a layer in the file that was not able to be edited. Can't figure out how to do this.

Then the other problem of the logo - especially if we use this file to send via e-mail then the receiver of the e-mail will certainly not have the logo resident on their machine so somehow I need to find a way to embed the graphic so that it is always with the template.

I am hoping that I can accomplish this task within the Office 2001 Word program for the Mac. I hope to find a solution within Word. I am a graphic designer and somehow trying to create this document so that others who do not have as comprehensive a machine can access and use this file - it would be very useful to my co-workers.

Can any one help me get thru this maze of questions? Thanks so much for your time.

4 Star Lounger
    Quakertown, PA, Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Creating a Letterhead (word 2001 - Mac)

Okay. I'm a would-be graphic designer if I had an inkling of creativity in my brain.

Here's what I would do:

Get the image into a different format, such as a wmf, gif, or jpg. You'll have much better results because EPS files are--let's face it--Adobe oriented and not Microsoft oriented. These formats will work better for you in Word.

In your document, go to File-Page Setup-Layout tab and tell it you want "different first page". This ensures that your header will not apper on the next page (you don't want the log on page 2 again). Place the logo into the header of the Word file (view-header and footer). When you insert it (insert-picture-from file), don't allow it to be linked (we want it embedded). Format the picture so that it is "in line with text". After the graphic, insert paragraph returns in the header so that you're cursor is placed just above where you want your users to begin typing.

Hit File-Save as and save it as a document template (change the file type and DON'T change the file location). Close the file. Anytime you want to use it, you hit File-New and choose it from the list.

If you want others to use it, you just put it (the template file--maybe called on a network drive. We'll call it S:TemplatesCompanyStuff. Then, in everyone's Word program, you hit Tools-Options, File locations tab. You double-click Workgroup templates and change the location to S:TemplatesCompanyStuff. Now whenever anyone hits File-New, CompanyStuff shows up as a tab in their templates window.

This may not work exactly the same on a Mac. This may not work exactly the same in v2001. Let me know if you have any problems.

This MS Technet article explains how templates are stored in Office 2000. I believe it will be the same for MAC:

<A target="_blank" HREF=></A>

Also, the need for protecting the file is basically gone when you use a template. When you hit File-new and choose a template, it creates a copy of the file and calls it document1 or 2 or whatever. The only way to open the template is to hit File-Open, change type to templates, and open it directly from its file location. You can also have the network people make that folder read-only for all users except the person who creates/edits the templates. At very least, you can mark the file as read-only.

Thanks. I am on my way out of the office for the holiday but I will try your suggestions when I return. Thanks for all the effort. Have a nice holiday. Robin

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA

This is probably as good a place to ask as any.

You may want to download the letterhead system from
    <A target="_blank" HREF=>my download page</A> (

This may not be the best way to set up letterhead, but it is a way that works for me. It consists of modular components so that changes to a letterhead are reflected in all form documents created from then on while documents that were created earlier remain unchanged.

The best way to set up letterhead is in the header and footer areas. If you put this in a protected form, there is no access to headers or footers by the user but you lose a lot of Word's functionality.

While I haven't tried this on a Mac, the concepts should transfer fine.

For the email, my suggestion would be to print it to a PDF file and email that file as an attachment. If you don't know how to do this, look at <A target="_blank" HREF= w=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=> this discussion on PDF</A>. As a graphic designer, I'm sure you have tools for conversion to PDF, but I don't know how well they are distributed on your system (available to everyone else).

Also take a look at:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=> Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial </A>
    (<A target="_blank" HREF=>Template Basics
    <A target="_blank" HREF=>How to Create a Template - Part 2 </A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=>Links about Forms</A> and
    (if you are coming from a Word Perfect environment) <A target="_blank" HREF=> Word for Word Perfect Users.</A>

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin