Lounger
    Thanks

Display resolution mysteriously drops from 1920 x 1200 to 640 x 480

Good day to all.

I've got another, long-standing annoyance with my Win 7 Pro home machine.

This is an AMD machine with Asus F1A75-M Pro motherboard having on-board Radeon HD6530D video. Its driving an I-inc IH283 28" class monitor via VGA.

Everything works well - I use the system, then turn the monitor off but leave the computer running. The computer runs 24/7 because I use LogMeIn remote access software to allow me to access the machine while I am elsewhere.

However, about 2 times out of 5, turning the monitor back on shows that the display resolution has mysteriously changed from the 1920 x 1200 that it should be at to some much lower resolution. Right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "Screen Resolution" shows that the hi-res modes are not available.

I fix it by going into the Windows Device Manager, selecting the item list called "Display Adapters", then telling the Device Manager to scan for new hardware changes. Bang! The display resolution jumps back to 1920 x 1200 and all is good again.

This does NOT happen on my other Win 7 and Win 8 computers at work. One of those is running an earlier version of this same 28' class monitor: the I-inc IH282.

My wild-assed guess is that the display adapter can't query the monitor while its turned off - this seems odd because my past experience with other LCD monitors is that the comm lines are always active and available so long as the monitor has power. And this monitor does always have power - I turn it off with the monitor's front panel button.

I am using VGA because I normally have the monitor, mouse, keyboard connected to a D-link PS2 & VGA KVM switch. However, the KVM is currently disconnected - I just moved to a new residence and haven't got my whole computer rig set up yet. The problem occurs both with and without the KVM present.

Couple of questions:

1) Any other ideas as to why this is happening?

2) Is there anything that I can do to stop it from happening?

3) If I can't stop it from happening, is there an easier way for me to get the display resolution back to normal instead of having to go through the Device Manager?

Many thanks!

dwayne

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Happens to a couple of my systems as well. If you can find something in the graphics control software to not check or change settings unless you do it manually it might fix it. It is just polling for the screen all the time and when it's not there clunks into the lower resolution. The way I fix it is right click on blank space on desktop, choose screen resolution and then click on the Detect button; clunks back where it should be for me.

Thanks
    Right-click the desktop, choose "Personalize," click "Screen Saver,"
    click "Change power settings," click "Change when to turn off the
    display."
    Another suggestion would be to see if their is an update driver for the on board video.Of course go to the vendor's website.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your analysis is probably correct. It happens to me when I switch my KVM over to another computer and back.
    I just say "DOH!" and fix it like you do.

Thanks
    I'd leave the monitor on, rather than turning it off. You can use your screen saver functionality to blank the monitor screen without actually powering the monitor off.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like something is glitchy in the software (video driver or the app interfacing with the video), part of the enhanced mode as it is dropping into the 'safe-mode' resolution. I could be wrong, but I believe VGA is one-way only and you would have to be using HDMI or DVI to have the system poll the monitor. I agree with mrjimphelps and let the monitor simply go to powersave and not turn it off - then see if you still have the issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    With this display problem, I can only think of a few problems.
    1. Driver incompatibility.
    2. Maybe you tried an external or duplicate display and changed some options.
    This may have happened if you connected to a projector.
    3. The most unlikely but also possible is a virus attack.
    Please see this similar issue and try associating it with yours http://www.techyv.com/questions/i-ne...n-software-fix.