New Lounger
    Thanks

Definitive answer as to WHY every one but me seems to need a start button

Can someone, anyone, tell me why I have to keep hearing the drivel about why they need a start button.

Everything that shows up on your desk top is essentially a shortcut, so why is it easier to click 2 or 3 times to get where you are going, than to click once.

Have we as a society become weak that a simple change to what is an easier way to get to a program cause everyone to cry like little children.

Windows 8 is the best thing to happen to the Windows OS and everyone seems to have lost the ability to adapt and move on.

Ban me if you like but I can't believe how far the mighty have fallen.

Patrick J Henderson

Thanks
    The problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft decided to shove a highly inefficient touch-based user interface onto millions of PC users using non-touch desktops and notebooks. I have no problem with the idea of touch on tablets and other systems that have a touchscreen—Windows 8 is actually quite good on these—but forcing people sitting behind desktops and notebooks to change their workflow on a whim is simply asking too much.
    Everything that shows up on your desk top is essentially a shortcut, so why is it easier to click 2 or 3 times to get where you are going, than to click once.
    It is,NOT your desk top for #1.It is called by M$ Tiles.No not everything is displayed on the tiles.
    IMHO,untill M$ does some very serious changes to Windows 8.People world wide will dislike the OS as a whole.Further more it is not a work station setup.Nor a power user OS.So other many reason's why people dislike Windows 8.Just simple type in;Why do people hate windows 8.Into your favorite search site & do some reading on the subject.Just plan on setting aside about a week of reading.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Unfortunately this discussion has been rehashed so often that it seems to be getting boring. For me the Start Menu is convenient to allow access to the CP in menu format. It also allows access to little used apps that are not used enough to make it to my Shortcuts Toolbar.

For those of us that boot directly to the Desktop UI, it sometimes is more convenient to access certain items like Favorites when a browser is not open.

For those that use and like the Start Screen, great. As long as a user can control the number of app tiles placed on the Start Screen, it can be just as convenient. I do not have touch capabilities, but can use either effectively, but since I boot to the Desktop, it's just more convenient.

By the way did I say it's because it's convenient to the UI I normally use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I need a start button / start menu because I WANT A START BUTTON / START MENU. I really like the efficiency and ease of working that is provided by the Windows 7 Start Menu / Start Button. It's easy to add items to it, and it's out of sight / out of mind when I don't want it.

Why do you refer to that as "drivel"? I certainly would not call your disdain of the Start Button / Start Menu "drivel".

In fact, I think it's great that we can both have what we want in Windows 8 -- you, the "Metro" interface; and me, the Windows 7 style Start Button / Start Menu, with the Desktop Interface.

I only wonder why Microsoft felt inclined to force people like me over to your way of doing things, when it would have been so simple to accomodate us both.

No one here minds your prefering the Metro Interface; in fact, I, for one, am very happy for you that you found something that works so well for you.

What I, and I'm sure others here, mind, is when you refer to us as "little children" for having an opinion and preference that is different than yours.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-06-20 at 12:32.

Thanks
    Well said Jim!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy