Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer 10 is a blank screen

I obtained a new PC running Win 7 Home Premium (64) a few months ago and immediately installed Firefox and so have never used IE. It was apparently upgraded to 10 under Windows Update.

Recently I installed a program which tried to include a toolbar for Firefox, which I stopped, but I wondered if anything had slipped in to IE so loaded the program to check A completely blank window appears with no text whatsoever. I have a notebook running Win 7 Pro and I got a similar result there.

I downloaded the latest version from MS but when I tried to install it received the message "Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on tour computer".

Windows has successfully updated itself for the past 6 months so IE must be working. Is it possible to delete iexplore.exe and try to install again? Since I do't use it should I just leave things as they are?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you don't use IE don't worry about it.

First, no you can not just delete iexplore.exe and try the install again. You'd have to uninstall IE10 using the control panel and then reinstall.

If you want to debug the problem just in case you need IE, what is your IE homepage?
    Can you get any site to display?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no homepage as there is nothing displayed on the window as you can see.Screendump.jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWA View Post
    There is no homepage as there is nothing displayed on the window as you can see.
    What do you expect to be displayed if no home page has been set?

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think a little more thought is required before you make comments such as this. If you spend a little more time to study the screen dump you will see that there is no title, no menu, no icons, no text of any description. The frame is completely blank as I described in my first post. When I say there is no homepage it means there is no homepage "displayed". How else would you describe this other than "there is no homepage"?
    It follows from this that it is not possible to display any sites - to answer the question asked by Joe.

It is all very well to say "don't worry about it". This must be a symptom of something very wrong in two computers and I am sure anybody would be anxious to get to the bottom of the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think a little more thought is required before you make comments such as this. If you spend a little more time to study the screen dump you will see that there is no title, no menu, no icons, no text of any description.
    IE10 doesn't have a title or menus by default, but I do see seven icons.

Has a home page been set which should be displayed or not?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-06-20 at 14:35. Reason: added link

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot believe that IE was designed to appear on the screen with nothing on it, just an outlined window. As to a home page - I repeat - I have never used IE on these computers. The last time I used IE was version 8 on XP.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I cannot believe that IE was designed to appear on the screen with nothing on it, just an outlined window.
    Some people like starting with a blank page: Set Homepage to a Blank Page

As to a home page - I repeat - I have never used IE on these computers. The last time I used IE was version 8 on XP.
    Is any URL listed at Tools, Internet Options, Home Page?

(Tools is the cog icon at top right, or use Alt + X.)

Bruce

Thanks
    Also, you might want to change Cog icon > Internet Options > Tabs > Change how a web pages are displayed > Tab button
    Change the dropdown for "When a new tab is opened.... to your preference and click OK. I don't know if this will affect what's displayed if you have no home page specified.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When internet explorer is installed it uses msn as the default homepage. In this case you need to go to control panel, programs and features, click installed updates. then find ie10 and uninstall. Internet explorer will revert back to ver 9. This should solve the problem. Then update to ie10.
    joe crudele

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Some people like starting with a blank page: Set Homepage to a Blank Page

Is any URL listed at Tools, Internet Options, Home Page?

(Tools is the cog icon at top right, or use Alt + X.)

Bruce
    Perhaps the screen dump is not clear enough. The window is not only blank, it is DEAD. There is no activity indicator and there is no response to any keyboard or mouse input. Consequently, Tools is inaccessible as is everything else.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps the screen dump is not clear enough. The window is not only blank, it is DEAD. There is no activity indicator and there is no response to any keyboard or mouse input.
    A screen shot doesn't convey activity or response at all. Perhaps DEAD would have been better in the title of this thread than "a blank screen"?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-06-21 at 05:16.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update.

I ran in Safe Mode and found IE working so realised there must be a conflict with one of my running programs. I rebooted normally and checked IE and it was not working but left it on screen while sorting out what to do with the running programs and then discovered that after several minutes, whilst still appearing blank, the Tools icon now responded. At the same time a message appeared stating that my add-ons were causing a delay in loading. I checked the add-ons and disabled WebRep (Avasts browser checker) and IE now loads and runs normally.

Thank you joecr for your tip on uninstalling IE10. It is , of course, not offered as a normal uninstall but can be disabled.

Anyway, problem solved and something new learned. Delays can be incredibly long, not just seconds.

Thanks
    Quite often add-ons that worked previously will not work properly with a newer version of a browser because the developer of the add-on has not updated it. Each version of IE has become more secure, and this could also be part of the problem.

Glad you solved your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Browser "helper" addons from various security vendors have caused massive problems in IE through the years.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast