New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Losing SSD drivers

I have been using two Crucial SSDs for over a year now for a very easy back-up plan. After every Windows 7 update has been installed, or I have made other changes to the system, I clone the 'C' drive to the second SSD and do a check boot from the cloned drive to ensure that it works OK.
    The other day I did that, and the machine re-booted correctly, however, at the next boot I got the "Boot Manager missing .. " message. I thought 'No problem' installed the other SSD only to get the same message.

I tried the usual answers to this problem from the Windows install disk to no end - 'system restore' said 'No restore points made' - 'fix boot problems' said 'no windows installation found' - and using the command prompts the 'BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd' reported that 'No Windows system found'. Then came a repair install attempt - over one hour installing then Windows reported that the repair could not be done and removed any changes. I then in desperation tried booting from my True Image boot disk and amazingly Windows booted correctly but proceeded to install a driver for the SSD. Thank you Acronis ! This is now a consistent problem on every boot.

So, in resume, when I shut my Windows 7 system down the SSD driver disappears with the boot manager.. The SSD is however seen by the bios but can not be booted. I have tried updating the firmware for the SSD but none was available.

Fortunately I am getting around the problem by putting the machine into sleep mode and not shutting down but this is ignoring the problem and not fixing it. It also raises the question of why the SSD driver is lost at shutdown and why the Acronis disk can boot Windows after 'no boot manager' has been reported.

Has anybody else had this kind of problem?

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Can we see a screenshot of the Disk Management section of Computer Management please, it may give some insights into where the error might lie.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you happen to remove the 'System Reserved' partition from the 'C' drive?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to winsong02 For This Useful Post:

rogleale (2013-06-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Did you try to contact Crucial's support about this? I have found their telephone support very knowledgeable and helpful. Probably, if that is a common occurrence, they have dealt with it before.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

rogleale (2013-06-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response Winsong but there was no system reserved partition on the machine. It's a home built and the SSDs have been working correctly for nearly one year until now.
    Last edited by rogleale; 2013-06-21 at 00:51. Reason: spelling

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of the phone.
    I checked for an updated firmware, which was available, but the Crucial support warned that the update might not work, and it didn't.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying Satrow. The really annoying part is that all worked perfectly for almost a year, and it all fell apart after doing the last lot of windows updates!

Capture.JPG

Thanks
    The C: (SSD) Status looks correct but obviously there must be a bad pointer there (the MBR or boot loader pointing to the G: ?) if it only boots when you set the BIOS to boot from the Acronis CD/DVD.

EasyBCD may be able to fix this, remove the Acronis CD while you run it.

Was the Acronis CD in the drive when Windows Update ran?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have a system I built myself and my primary drive is a M4 Critical 128 GB SSD. When I initially installed Windows 7, the install created the 'System Reserved' partition from the 'C' drive. It is 100 MB and as far as I know MS expects to find this somewhere on you system. I know it can be moved. You might consider a fresh install of 7, as with the SSD, it takes no time at all. Have you run SFC /SCANNOW to ensure your system files are not corrupted.

Thanks
    @ winsong02: Like the above screenshot, my M4 has a single partition, the boot files are stored in C\:Boot (14MB), which is the Windows 7 default location for a pre-formatted single partition.