Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    334
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Errors were detected in file 'G:\DOR\DOR_2013-06.xlsm'

    When I open a file (one specific XL file) I get the message:
    Excel found unreadable content in "filename.xlsm. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook. If you trust the yada yada yada...

    I click Yes and get this:
    Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content.
    Repaired Records: View from /xl/worksheets/sheet6.xml part
    Repaired Records: View from /xl/worksheets/sheet7.xml part
    Repaired Records: View from /xl/worksheets/sheet8.xml part

    I went through all of this yesterday and saved the so-called "repaired" file. This is a file that gets recycled every month, so aside from the data and the date in the filename, it's pretty much the same file as last month.

    What is happening? What can I do to ensure that this file is not corrupt?

  2. #2
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Praha
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
    As no-one else has replied, here are some thoughts.

    It is rare for Excel itself to cause corruption - more often it is a disk issue, an incomplete copy, and interrupted save process, or something similar. If it doesn't recur then you can be pretty certain it wasn't Excel - if it does then Excel might be the culprit.

    Excel has good repair abilities, but the result is only a working, internally consistent file. That does NOT mean that every formula and piece of data in it is correct. If it is a critical workbook then you cannot reply on it.

    In the case you describe, you may be wise to go back to the monthly version before the corruption and re-create the succeeding workbooks - if you cannot do this then you will have to give the workbook a thorough audit which I know will be a very tedious task.

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    334
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, it turns out that the fix was easier than I thought (or feared) it would be. On merely a hunch, I went to the new worksheets that I had added back in April. Recall that this workbook is used five or six days a week so why it popped up this day I don't have a clue.

    Since the error was reporting something about sheetN.xml I thought perhaps that some excess formatting on those sheets was causing the error. I've never used the web features of Excel on this file or anywhere so I don't know how that suddenly became an issue.

    I positioned the cursor on the last used cell in each sheet and deleted columns to the right and rows beneath. Whatever it was that was confusing Excel must have been removed, because it works fine now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •