New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Hanging phantom message in Outlook 2007

I have two problems, probably related.

First, every time Outlook does a send/receive operation, it reports a message being sent that never gets completed. However, there is no message in the outbox.

The probably related problem is with sending messages through scbglobal.net (which is now a front for yahoo.com.) I have not fully explored this problem but it appears to be that if I reply or forward messages with an attachment, they fail to be sent.

I have three accounts that I access with Outlook. These are the sbcglobal, gmail, and comcast.net. The other two work without a problem. The problem is specific to sbcglobal.

Incidentally, I did clear this problem once before with some arcane tool to which no average user should ever be exposed. However, it was not a permanent fix. What I really need is the setting that would prevent this in the first place.

I think the answers are somewhere on this forum but so far my searches have turned up too much clutter. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Update 7/5/13: That "arcane tool" did fix it again and it did seem to have been a stuck receipt. But that leaves me still wondering what it is about sbcglobal that is prone to this error. I have had no such issue with gmail. I hate to have to keep fixing this problem over and over. Is there some setting I can try that would change this tendency? In any case, it hasn't been a problem since the "fix". I try to avoid replying on sbcglobal and use that address for junk mail, the kind of thing where you just know you will be inundated with unbidden junk mail. The gmail address so far has not been spread around the world so it is clean. Thanks for all the replies. I was able to find that tool again and clear it up, but I am still waiting for the next occurrence...
    Last edited by RDSexton; 2013-07-06 at 02:32.

Thanks
    What was the "arcane tool" with which you fixed it before?

Could be related to the size of the attachment. Perhaps sbcglobal maxes out on smaller attachments than do gmail or comcast.

Or maybe sbcglobal has some sort of malware checking going on which is blocking the type of attachments that you are sending.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Could it be a stuck read receipt?

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/d...eadreceipt.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    arcane tool: That is the third problem. I can't remember what it was. I haven't investigated the attachment issue or size issue as yet, but this is something that started some months ago. If sbcglobal (which is handled by yahoo) changed their settings, that could explain it. The tool reset a read receipt flag somewhere in the innards and i think it is stuck again most likely. But I eally want to know how to stop it permanently.

FWIW, when Outlook tries to send the phantom message, it will ultimately time out and the error message says no response was received from the sbcglobal smtp server.
    Last edited by RDSexton; 2013-06-20 at 17:54.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried running the scanpst tool? This may be the "arcane tool" you used before, since it's location is hard to find, and there's not much help. It will usually fix most problems with corruption in the pst file, which is what you may be experiencing.

The following link has more info, including a "fix-it" which might make it easier

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227

Good Luck
    JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS