2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ethernet cable vs. wireless connection changes

Hi,
    Can anyone explain to me why my new Sony Vaio AIO Windows 8 computer keeps switching back and forth between the Ethernet connection and the wireless connection? I do have Ethernet selected as my default connection. Sometimes it will boot right to the Ethernet connection and other times right to the wireless. It seems to change several times a day between the two. I suspected a bad Ethernet cable, so bought a new one. Same thing. It may have been doing this since I got the computer in January, but I finally noticed the difference in the tray icon (duh) a month or two ago. I have sometimes unplugged and re-plugged the cable into a different port on the router, and noticed it would usually revert back to Ethernet for a while. Is it my router? Other devices within the household work fine on wireless off the router. Thanks. Judy

Thanks
    Try disabling the wireless connection on your laptop. There is probably a switch or button on the laptop for doing this. You can easily turn wireless on if you ever need it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

judson (2013-06-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks mrjimphelps, but this is on my AIO desktop computer. It also has the ability for me to disable wireless. Just was looking for a reason that it might be doing this, though. Something must trigger the need to change. My router is at least 3-4 years old. Would be nice to know if it's starting to fail. Judy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would try either using either wired only or wireless only, for a while and see how it behaves. Don't know how Windows 8 behaves in desktops, but in my laptop, wireless is connected only when there is no wired connection, surely for saving battery. This means that the power mode may have some influence, as well, although I cannot see why a wireless option would be chosen over a wired one. I would suspect more of something going wrong with the ethernet adapter / connection.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

judson (2013-06-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, ruirib.
    Was hoping that it isn't the adapter in my new AIO. I could get along without the internal hardware and use only wireless if I had to, but prefer not. Will try forcing ethernet only and see what happens and also check my power settings. Thanks much for the thoughts. Judy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Let us know how it goes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, I disabled the wireless and for the last 24 hours I haven't had any break in my connection, so apparently the internal adapter is ok. Hoping that lacking a choice, it will stay connected to the Ethernet. Thanks again for your input, ruirib and mrjimphelps.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well I am glad it's working like that, but it is definitely weird that the wireless networking behaves like that. I would check to make sure you have updated drivers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After watching this video we turned off our router's Wireless feature except for when we need it for the laptop. Powerline adapters are worth considering as a good, safe alternative to wireless.

http://www.forbiddenknowledgetv.com/...-measured.html

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fixit

Remove the wireless adapter from device manager then scan for new hardware and manually update the driver with the latest Sony Vaio drivers!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The switching back and forth might have been caused by the system trying to find the fastest route with the least interference or competition for bandwidth. When other devices on the LAN use the wireless channel, it might be better for the AIO to use Ethernet, and vice versa.