Thanks

TeraCopy Utility as Recommended by the WindowsSecrets Newsletter

I was quite interested when the latest WSL discussed the TeraCopy utility for speedier file copying alternative in Win8.
    I downloaded the utility and set to copy a folder with 10 files in it with a total size of 3.77GB (4.05e+9 bytes).
    The copy event was to take place between a 10base-T NAS HDD to a local SATA HDD.
    I copied the same folder of 10 files, using both TeraCopy as well as using the native Win8Pro Copy command (using two WinExplorers side-by-side and drag and drop).
    Maybe I was doing something wrong or this event was not a great example where the TeraCopy shines, as advertised.
    The total time to copy with TeraCopy was 18minutes and 14seconds.
    Using the default copy command in Win8Pro, the same file copy event took 18minutes and 45seconds.
    I must be doing something wrong.
    Last edited by pseudoid; 2013-06-20 at 19:41.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing wrong, TC like most third party software, has more options and control. Speed would be a minor gain, if any since that is situational and often can butt up against bus transfer speed limitations. Windows 7 and 8 have been doing some catching up to TC so the difference is not as great as it once was. One especially marked shortcoming of the XP copy process is that it would stall on a file it couldn't copy whereas TC could pass it by, marking it for attention later on and it would also give a very granular listing of files as they are copied. Helpful little things like that rather than any great speed gains, though if the copy process were to stall on one, the other would be much faster by default, not by actual copy speed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    I was quite interested when the latest WSL discussed the TeraCopy utility for speedier file copying alternative in Win8.
    The article didn't actually say Windows 8, and the author didn't specify which version was used for comparison.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows 8 file copy seems to be a bit better than Windows 7, IMO. The difference is noticeable in Windows 7, at least according to my experience. I actually ended up not using TeraCopy on Windows 8.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    LOL >> First sentence of the first paragraph at the TeraCopy website (as shown in included link) states the following:
    "One of the most common complaints about newer versions of Windows is the slow copying speed"
    I did not mean anything negative about the useful information nor the writer nor WSL. I was strictly stating my observations that were NOT under controlled environment (>> ~27.5Mbps or 3.44MB/s).
    Please, no need to get defensive!
    I do think that the Win8 copy utility (AdvancedMode) has become quite detailed, which is a nice change.
    I just wish that the old dual-pane "FileManager" was back for copying/moving/transferring files in Windows.
    As an alternative, I normally utilize the dual-pane FreeCommanderXE (PublicReview) for such shuttling duties.
    FreeCommander is a FREEware but you may wish to donate to the cause.
    Last edited by pseudoid; 2013-06-20 at 21:36. Reason: link correction

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't think anyone got defensive. If you interpreted it that way, at least in what concerns my reply, I think that is not a correct interpretation. I just conveyed my own experience of using Teracopy and Windows 8.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    LOL >> First sentence of the first paragraph at the TeraCopy website (as shown in included link) states the following:
    Which has been there for more than 18 months, long before Windows 8.

I'm only trying to correct your impression that the article suggested TeraCopy for Windows 8.

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't read anything defensive either. Win 8 is better than 7 which was an improvement over whatever that was in Vista. Teracopy has be nice and stable and full featured since XP days at least (when I started using it). If I still used W8 with any regularity I would still use Teracopy, not for speed or transparency but for the ability to que. I'm not positive but I don't think there are any restrictions in Win8 copy to limit the number of simultaneous copy sources to the same drive except not to set up more than one copy task at a time. I would never expect much difference in speed because that's more a limitation of bus speed or drive speed unless one is copying a great number of small scattered files.

Thanks
    Some time ago I tried Teracopy, but found it inferior to Robocopy. But since much of my life is spent in the Command Prompt window, then this may not be surprising!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...