New Lounger
    Thanks

2 sets of page numbering on same page

There was a previous thread on this one that is now closed. "I have a big document. I am inserting a document from another source in the middle of it. In the headers, continuous page numbering. In the footers, page numbering starting at 1 for the section with the astrange document. How can I do this?"

The answer was perfect for JC@OR, but the answer was apparently written for another version of Word. I'm using Word 2010, and there are ambiguities in the response to JC@OR that I can't seem to resolve. To complicate matters even more, mine is one long document that has multiple sections in it. I need to have one numbering schema as "Page 1 of 235" for the entire document, while within each section I need to have "Page 1" as the beginning number.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can do it with a bit of arithmetic in field codes if you add a reference bookmark to the end of your sections. It isn't particularly difficult, but the explanation makes it seem so.

The PAGEREF field code will return the absolute page number where a named bookmark is located, so if you have a bookmark named, say, sect2end, at the end of your 2nd section, a calculated field code { = { PAGE } - { PAGEREF sect2end } } will result in 1 for the first page of the new section and increment by 1 for each page. You can then achieve "Page X of Y" for each section by using field codes like this:
    Page { = { PAGE } - { PAGEREF sect2end } } of { SECTIONPAGES }

Be sure to unlink this from a previous footer and adjust the bookmark name as applicable.

Here's what it looks like with the field codes visible:
    wsPagerefFCV.JPG
    ...and using Alt-F9 to toggle off the field code view to see the result:
    wsPagerefFCH.JPG

Note that field codes are not case sensitive, so "page" and "PAGE" are equivalent. The screen shots above show the location of the "sect2end" bookmark. The bookmark brackets and grey shade for field codes are options I choose to turn on in Word Options. It is handy to be able to see where bookmarks exist, and if text is a result of a field code instead of just being typed in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EricFletcher For This Useful Post:

jfeiler (2013-06-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hooray! It works great!! Thank you for your response.