3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Preparing Word for sharing

It is our policy to clean documents before sharing with clients. If the document comes back with the need for additional edits using Track Changes, we find that only "Author" appears for editors. Is this normal? Can this be changed so that we see markups by author (Track Changes Options is set to "By author")?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This sounds like the same issue this user was having
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...someone-else-s
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you. Thank you for the information, but we are still having the issue. After following the links, the Trust Center, Privacy Options, "Remove personal information from file properties on save" is grayed out and not checked.

Any other ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you hover your mouse over the line "Remove personal information....", do you see a bubble pop up? That bubble might contain information that explains why the items is greyed out.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the copy of the document that I have for testing, I do not see the "Remove personal information..." at all.

Is there anyway to get the original reviewers names back in the track changes after they have changed to "Author" in the document?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bjg1 View Post
    In the copy of the document that I have for testing, I do not see the "Remove personal information..." at all.
    What version of Word are you using to view the document and its options?

In Word 2007 or later, in the Trust Center Settings dialog, on the Privacy Options page, under "Document-specific settings", the line "Remove personal information from file properties on save" should end with an i-in-circle icon. When you hover the mouse cursor over that icon, you should see a popup that explains why that line is grayed out.

If you clean a document with the Document Inspector before sending it to a client, it will remove the names of all authors who have previously edited or commented on the document. However, it shouldn't prevent the client's name from appearing on the edits and comments that client makes -- unless the client is also running the Document Inspector before returning the document to you. If that isn't happening, though, I don't know of any way to change the behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by bjg1 View Post
    Is there anyway to get the original reviewers names back in the track changes after they have changed to "Author" in the document?
    No, the names are removed, not hidden or obscured. The only way to know who made which changes is to make and keep a backup copy of the document from before you run the Document Inspector.