Thread: MSE updates

Lounger
    Thanks

MSE updates

I'm using WIN 7.
    Lately, for about a month, when I try to update Microsoft Security Essentials, the updates fail. Other updates seem to work fine. I've tried from the Windows Update page, and also from MSE itself. Everything works OK until I restart the PC, then I get a message that it's failed.
    Any ideas?

Joe Kovacs

Thanks
    Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling MSE?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did that and now MSE updates just fine. Thanks. But I still have problems updating Win 7. There are about 20 updates for Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2592687). This is just one of them, but they are all the same, an update for x64-based Systems. The same thing happens, the update seems to go OK, then when the PC restarts, it shows an error and restarts again.

Joe Kovacs

Thanks
    Have you tried running sfc /scannow from an Administrators group level Command Prompt?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran sfc /scannow, the screen flashed a box but too fast for me to see anything. I tried the update again, same result, failure. Is this the way sfc is supposed to work?

Joe

Thanks
    In order to run sfc /scannow, you must first open a Command Prompt using "Run as administrator", and then within that Command Prompt type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm the only one that uses this PC, I am the admin.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgk1938 View Post
    I'm the only one that uses this PC, I am the admin.

Joe
    Sorry, Joe, but it only works the way I've described. Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Right-click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator". Then type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) within the Command Prompt and hit Enter. Otherwise you get
    I ran sfc /scannow, the screen flashed a box but too fast for me to see anything.
    Left-clicking on the Command Prompt shortcut and typing "sfc /scannow" will result in the error message, "'sfc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-06-22 at 10:10. Reason: additional info

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I tried what you said- Start> All Programs> Accessories> ??. but there is no "Command Prompt" listed under Accessories. What now?

Thanks
    It should have been there. Try this instead:
    Click on the Start orb and type cmd. Command.exe should show up highlighted in the search results.
    Hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter and you should get an command prompt with administrative privileges.

Jerry

Thanks
    If you type command in the search box, you should then see the command or cmd.exe. Right click it and choose Run As Administrator.

Just running from an administrator account DOES NOT give top level rights. You need to Run As Administrator for these top level rights.

I believe post 8 should be Start, All Programs, Windows System. This is another way to access the command prompt. Once you find the command prompt right click and choose Run as Administrator.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I called my son (expert PC user) and found the command prompt. The scan is running right now. I'll let you know the results. The path you mentioned: Start, All Programs, (Windows System) does not exist. I'm thinking that the system is partially corrupted, and of course, I don't have a CD to use.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The scan finished and it did not find any integrity violations. Anything else?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I believe post 8 should be Start, All Programs, Windows System.
    That's where it is in Windows 8 using one of the Start Menu apps, Ted.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The scan finished and it did not find any integrity violations. Anything else?
    Since your issue is with Windows Update, I suggest contacting Microsoft Support. Unless there's been a change of which I'm unaware, support for Windows Update is free from MS.

Unleash Windows