5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Moving Office 2010 apps from one machine to another

My wife is going to replace her laptop with a new one and I am looking for some insight on moving the Office 10 apps that are currently on her machine - Word. Excel, PowerPoint, etc. from her old machine which is a Win 7 64 bit machine to the new one which will be a Win 8 64 bit machine. Is it a simple matter of "uninstalling" it from her old machine and re-installing it on her new machine, or are there some unknown twists with regard to licencing that I need to watch out for? Any insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is a simple matter of uninstalling and reinstalling. You may have to contact Microsoft if Office does not activate. That should be a simple phone call.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    It is a simple matter of uninstalling and reinstalling. You may have to contact Microsoft if Office does not activate. That should be a simple phone call.

Joe
    Thanks Joe. I figured that it was something relatively simple.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    You might want to consider using the Windows Easy Transfer application to get her settings and configuration information. See Transfer Files from Windows XP, Vista or 7 to Windows 8 using Windows Easy Transfer for details.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for this link. I do have an "Easy Transfer Cable", just didn't know where the software was on the computers. I have actually used this before to transfer stuff from an older Windows machine to a newer Win 7 unit.

Do you know if there will be any problem dealing with the "licence" setup when moving the Office products from an old machine to the new machine? Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't know for sure but you should be OK.

Joe