New Lounger
    Thanks

Question iGoogle replacements?

The desktop version of iGoogle, which allows you to add gadgets (weather, calendars, quote of the day, pic of the day, headlines from various news services, etc) to a personalized browser home page, is going away as of November 1 (the mobile version was retired on July 31, 2012). According to Google: "We originally launched iGoogle in 2005 before anyone could fully imagine the ways that today's web and mobile apps would put personalized, real-time information at your fingertips. With modern apps that run on platforms like Chrome and Android, the need for something like iGoogle has eroded over time, so we’ll be winding down iGoogle..."

Although I agree that the alternatives for smart phones abound, I've become quite dependent on iGoogle to provide a single page that aggregates key information I want to see each day on my desktop. I've looked into Chrome "apps", but each seems to require a separate page (or tab) in the browser. Are there viable alternatives for iGoogle that allow you to aggregate a number of these types of services on a single page that you can quickly skim without clicking from tab to tab or app to app?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you try http://www.startme.com/. It is the best alternative of iGoogle . It is free and easy to Use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bob,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

Give ighome a look see. I've replaced my iGoogle with it and it is almost identical. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Wink Thanks for the iGoogle replacement suggestions

Hi RG (and Bob),

Just came to the Lounge to find out the answer to the exact question Bob asked. Checked Startme and ighome and think ighome is almost a clone of my beloved (well, perhaps that's a bit strong but I sure am not happy about losing it) iGoogle. You're right, RG - almost identical. Looking forward to setting it up and no longer dreading November 1st or those daily Google reminders counting down to the end of iGoogle.

As ever, thanks Loungers!

Linda

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions! I've set up ighome (it will even import your iGoogle settings!) and it's just what I was looking for.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great news, Bob53. I haven't tackled ighome migration/set up yet so am delighted to hear it will import your iGoogle settings. I had just poked around a bit to see if some of my favorite gadgets could be used. Will tackle the job with less trepidation now.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Can you export ighome settings to home networked laptop?

Okay, despite resistance (futile - who can fight Google?), I've managed to set up a reasonable facsimile of my iGoogle page on the PC using ighome, thanks to this thread and advice.

Question: can I somehow get the same page set up on the laptop without having to reload and position every gadget?

Our 2 computers both run Windows 7 SP1 and are on a Home network.

This could be really basic, but - from past experiences - I know "there are no stupid questions"!!

Thanks for any help,

Linda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Linda,

If you're using Firefox you can use MozBackup to transfer all your settings from machine to machine it works great for me. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Thanks, RG, that's great. I am using Firefox, will give MozBackup a try and post back success (or need for more help).

Linda

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Choose your Top 10 iGoogle alternative from http://www.igooglealternatives.info/ . Here you can get a lot of excellent information regarding alternatives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wish I'd seen your link earlier, William. What a detailed description and ranking of start page alternatives. I'm 90% down the line with ighome at this point, mainly because it is the one closest to iGoogle I could find (and according to other Loungers), but think I'll go back and check out StartMe again, after reading the article.

A bit of a vent and not to repeat the obvious, but it sure is annoying having to take all this time just because Google decided to drop iGoogle. No, I'm not anti-change or anti-progress: it's just when it comes as a tsunami, it's sure a challenge for very small businesses to keep swimming!

Thanks for posting the link!

Linda