Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home reinstall issue

So I reinstalled XP home on one of my office computers thanks to the great help from this forum. I used the TweakHome process and everything has worked fine with one issue. I followed the recommended partition space using 10gb as the amount. I am now running out of space on that C drive. Is there any way I can increase the amount of space in that partition without having to go through the reinstall process again? The drive is around 74gb.

Thanks
    You should have given it more space as Windows is a hog, but you can install many things on other drives. Just reserve C drive for Windows stuff. There are also partition managers that can allocate more space.

Thanks
    The MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.8 (free) will let you extend a partition.

Thanks
    Hi JoeP,
    To expand on what burger said, you can regain a lot of space on your C: partition by doing these things -

1. If XP is working properly, In Disc Cleanup - More options, delete all but the most recent restore point.

2. Do a thorough Disc Cleanup of Temp files, Temporary Internet files, and other junk files.

3. Delete old Windows Hotfix and Update "KBxxxxxx" installation files.
    These can be found in the folders C:\Windows, C:\Windows\$hf_mig$, and C:\Windows\ie8updates.

4. In Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual memory -> Change,
    re-assign the paging file to another partition.

5. Re-assign your Documents folder to another partition. Right-click on My Documents, click Properties,
    In the Target: space type in D:\My Documents and then click Move...

6. In Control Panel -> Power Options -> Hibernate tab, uncheck Enable hibernation.

7. Uninstall Programs and Windows Features you do not use.

After doing all of the above, my XP Pro + Programs C: partition occupies less than 6GB on a 12GB partition
    (with regular cleaning by steps 1, 2, & 3 above).

Your 10GB partition should be sufficient if you do the above and repeat steps 1, 2, & 3 whenever your
    C: free space becomes less than 3GB.
    Last edited by lostwages; 2013-06-22 at 16:42.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You guys came to the rescue again. I used a combination of your advice above. The partition wizard solved the immediate problem. I then moved some stuff over to the second drive. I will add that the second drive was never identified during the reinstall. The wizard helped name it and get it ready for use. Allis well and I delayed the inevitable move to upgrade all 5 computers to Win 7 for a little longer. Thank you all

Thanks
    Great to hear the problem's been resolved.