3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ADO AddNew not Adding New (VB6 / Access 97)

I've attached the Sub in which I'm having the problem. It completes successfully, however, it does not add the data to the underlying Access database.

Private Sub AttachFile()

Dim rsPath As New ADODB.Recordset

Dim FSO As New FileSystemObject

Dim OpenFile As New cFileDialog

Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

Dim cn As New ADODB.Connection

Dim FileName As String

Dim iSeq As Integer

If Me.tdbMRN = "" Or IsNull(Me.tdbMRN) Then
    MsgBox "Medical Record Number Required to Attach Record", vbCritical, "Required Field"
    Exit Sub
    End If

OpenFile.Filter = "*.PDF"

OpenFile.Show (True)

FileName = OpenFile.FileName

cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.3.51;" _
    & "Data Source=CatabaseOncology.mdb"

rsPath.Source = "tblPath"

rsPath.Open , cn, adOpenDynamic, adLockBatchOptimistic

'Set rsPath = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("tblPath")

If FileName = "" Then
    Exit Sub
    End If

With rsPath
    .AddNew
    !MRNumber = tdbMRN.Text
    !seq = 9999
    !Path = FileName
    ' .Update
    End With

'If MsgBox("Open file " & FileName & " ? ", vbYesNo, "SheaWare 2001") = vbYes Then

'End If

If LoadFormData(tdbMRN.Text) Then

Me.lblStatus.Caption = "File Attached to MR # " & tdbMRN.Text & " Successfully"

Else

Me.lblStatus.Caption = "Error Attaching File"

End If

Set rsPath = Nothing
    Set cn = Nothing
    Set FSO = Nothing
    Set OpenFile = Nothing

End Sub

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADO AddNew not Adding New (VB6 / Access 97)

Hi Mike,
    After your recordset is opened try a debug.print or msgbox to show the values of rs.cursortype and rs.locktype. Compare the values retrieved with the constants adOpenDynamic and adLockBatchOptimistic as shown in the Object Browser. Check out MSDN library info on ADO and the Jet OLEDB provider. If you ask for a type of recordset not supported by Jet it will substitute something else; this may be causing your problem. Also, did you mean to leave the .Update statement commented out? I think this will take you to a good starting point in your search: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....date_topic5.asp

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just because you didn't get an error message, doesn't mean you didn't get any errors. One of the more frustrating aspects of ADO is that you have to monitor the connection object's errors collection, which is not the same as the database application's errors. You need to add error handling to test for cn.Errors.Count > 0 and then loop through the collection to see any errors. Then you need to clear the errors collection because unlike the Jet err object, it doesn't clear itself on a resume instruction.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Dottie and Charlotte.

I will try the debug and see what is actually going on with the recordset object pertaining to the locking and adOpenDynamic like you suggested. I'll also look up some methods of handling errors occurring with the connection object, which is really good to know that this can occur without any feedback from the application. I will check out that URL you sent me.

I've actually just dove into ADO, trying to force myself to use it to get up with the times. I've been creating and using the same connection object in multiple places and am wondering if that might be the source of my problem. I've attached my entire code below. If you wouldn't mind just looking at how I'm using the connection objects, I'd be interested in any input from you and Charlotte.

Also, Dottie, I uncommented the .Update method. I had it commented out because my reference book said that ADO would do the update automatically and was just trying different things.

Code is as follows:

Private Function LoadFormData(sMRN_Number As Long) As Boolean

Dim Itm As ListItem

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

'If lvwRM.ListItems.Count > 0 Then
    lvwRM.ListItems.Clear
    'End If

rs.Source = "SELECT DISTINCT tblPath.MRNumber, tblPath.Seq, tblPath.Path " _
    & "FROM tblPath " _
    & "WHERE tblPath.MRNumber = " & sMRN_Number

rs.Open , cn, adOpenStatic, adLockBatchOptimistic

Debug.Print rs.RecordCount

If rs.RecordCount > 0 Then

With lvwRM
    Do While Not rs.EOF

Set Itm = .ListItems.Add(, , rs(1) & vbNullString)
    Itm.SubItems(1) = rs(2) & vbNullString

rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    End With

lblStatus.Caption = "Record Retrieved"

LoadFormData = True

Else

MsgBox "Record not on file", vbCritical, "Search Results"
    tdbMRN.SetFocus

LoadFormData = False

End If

Set Itm = Nothing
    Set rs = Nothing
    Set cn = Nothing

Exit Function

ErrorHandler:

MsgBox "Error #" & Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
    LoadFormData = False

End Function

Private Sub cmdAttach_Click()

Call AttachFile

End Sub

Private Sub cmdSearch_Click()

If Not (IsNull(tdbMRN) Or tdbMRN = "") Then
    LoadFormData (tdbMRN)
    Else
    MsgBox "MRN Number Required for Search", vbCritical, "Required Field"
    End If

End Sub

Private Function IsSel() As Boolean

Dim intX As Integer
    On Error Resume Next ' If an integer isn't entered.

intX = InputBox("Check Item", , lvwRM.SelectedItem.Index)

If IsNumeric(intX) Then ' Ensure an integer was entered.

If lvwRM.ListItems(intX).Selected = True Then
    Debug.Print lvwRM.ListItems(intX).Text & " is selected."
    Else
    Debug.Print "Not selected"
    End If

End If

End Function

Private Sub cmdUp_Click()
    IsSel
    End Sub

Private Sub tdbMRN_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)

If KeyCode = 13 Then
    LoadFormData (tdbMRN)
    tdbMRN.SelStart = 0
    tdbMRN.SelLength = Len(tdbMRN.Text)

End If

End Sub

Private Sub AttachFile()

Dim rsPath As New ADODB.Recordset

Dim FSO As New FileSystemObject

Dim OpenFile As New cFileDialog

Dim FileName As String

Dim iSeq As Integer

If Me.tdbMRN = "" Or IsNull(Me.tdbMRN) Then
    MsgBox "Medical Record Number Required to Attach Record", vbCritical, "Required Field"
    Exit Sub
    End If

OpenFile.Filter = "*.PDF"

OpenFile.Show (True)

FileName = OpenFile.FileName

rsPath.Source = "tblPath"

rsPath.Open , cn, adOpenDynamic, adLockBatchOptimistic

'Set rsPath = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("tblPath")

If FileName = "" Then
    Exit Sub
    End If

With rsPath
    .AddNew
    !MRNumber = CLng(tdbMRN.Text)
    !seq = 9999
    !Path = FileName
    .Update
    End With

'If MsgBox("Open file " & FileName & " ? ", vbYesNo, "SheaWare 2001") = vbYes Then

'End If

If LoadFormData(tdbMRN.Text) Then

Me.lblStatus.Caption = "File Attached to MR #" & tdbMRN.Text & " Successfully"

Else

Me.lblStatus.Caption = "Error Attaching File"

End If

Set rsPath = Nothing
    Set cn = Nothing
    Set FSO = Nothing
    Set OpenFile = Nothing

End Sub

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mike,
    For just "diving into" ADO you certainly have accomplished a lot, and I think you really have already identified the cause of one of your problems being the connection object itself getting used in multiple places with the updates, opens, and closes, not quite in sync. I have just gone through your code and have some ideas that I hope will help you get past some of the remaining sticking points.
    I'm pretty sure that the lock method is what is preventing the update from occurring at all. adLockBatchOptimistic is used in conjunction with the UpdateBatch method; this is used for handling disconnected recordsets, so in your future studies you will definitely want to read about why and how disconnected recordsets are used. You want adLockOptimistic for your current situation; that will work with the Update method. BTW: You are right about ADO automatically running the Update method, but this happens when you move off the record. Closing the recordset should have the same result as navigating to another record, but I just thought it was worth explicitly using Update to see if it shed any light on your troubles. As for using the same connection object in multiple places: leaving it as in your posted code, will cause the statement " If LoadFormData(tdbMRN.Text) Then" to always give your "Error Updating File" message even when the update succeeds after your locking is fixed. It seems the two "cn" objects are out of sync. A couple of approaches to fix this are: 1) close connection, recordset, set both to nothing BEFORE invoking your LoadFormData method. OR 2) Use one connection object declared in the form's general declaration area. Close it and set it to nothing in the form's terminate event; you will have to decide the best spot for opening it. When using one connection object in several places, you'll also have to check the state as in If cn.State = adStateOpen then ..... before attempting to close it as well as to avoid getting an error for trying to open one that is already open. There are lots of considerations for determining the best way of handling connections. I am glad that you will followup on Charlotte's suggestion about the Errors collection too; looking at those errors will help you learn more about what is happening from the database's point of view. Good luck!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dottie,

Thank you for reviewing my code, and in such detail.

I did some experimenting over the weekend with the connection objects and figured out that they were interfering with my other functions that also set connections and recordsets. Just like you said, I set them equal to Nothing before making calls to any other functions and it worked fine ever since.

Also, (and again, like you said) I did some reading on Batch updates and trying to see how to integrate it into my existing architecture. I created a function that returns a disconnected recordset. I figured a calling procedure can use the data from this and the somehow do a batch update after the calling sub is done manipulating the data (I still have some reading to do, but I am assuming I would call another function to re-open the connection and then do the UpdateBatch).

My preliminary code is as follows, and it does work for at least reading data from the datasource. Do I appear to be on the right track?:

Public Function GetRS(sSource As String) As adodb.Recordset

Dim rs As New adodb.Recordset

Dim cn As New adodb.Connection

cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" _
    & "Data Source=CatabaseOncology2000.mdb"

rs.Source = sSource
    rs.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    rs.CursorType = adOpenForwardOnly
    rs.LockType = adLockBatchOptimistic

rs.Open , cn

Set GetRS = rs

Set rs.ActiveConnection = Nothing
    cn.Close

Exit Function

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mike,
    Looks good! You might want to change the cursor type to adOpenStatic in case any of your updates will be done to records out of sequence. You'll also need to trap for errors when you try to run the UpdateBatch method after reconnecting the recordset; if there are any conflicts during the update an error will be thrown. You'll want to determine a strategy for handling conflicts. In case you haven't already been to the section of MSDN's ADO Programmer's Guide dealing with batch updates, here is a link:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdconbatchmode.asp>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....onbatchmode.asp</A>