3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A very very slow netbook

I have been given an HP mini 210-1000, Windows 7 Starter. It is terribly slow, whether on battery or mains - 40 seconds to load a browser and another 40 to load a webpage, if it even manages to do so. I have used Ccleaner, defragged, reduced startups to just the anti-virus and checked for a virus, all to no avail I believe that a system file must be corrupt, would this be so or is there something else I could try? I have bought a cd drive and made a recovery disk - can I use this to clean and repair the system on this cut-down version of Windows or do I have to do a complete system re-install and lose all installed programs and files - there is a 12GB recovery section on the hard drive. I have no instructions - what is the procedure. PC World rep told me all netbooks are impossibly slow and the only solution was 4GB of RAM and a solid state drive.

I have posted this question several days ago on the HP notebook forum but there have been no views or replies

Thanks
    How much memory is installed? You should have at least 2 gigs. See if this works for the Factory Restore procedure:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c02638587

One other possibility is that the netbook is overheating. Try blowing out all the cooling vents with compressed air.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-06-22)

Thanks
    I would first check to see what is starting with Windows. Use either What's In Startup or Autoruns for Windows to see what apps are starting with Windows. I suspect you will find many apps there. Shut most down. They do NOT need to be starting with Windows.

On my laptop I have my security apps starting, my touchpad app and my mouse S/W. That's it. no toolbars, no update schedulers, no office apps, nothing else.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-06-22)

Thanks
    My first thought too Ted but he already did that:
    reduced startups to just the anti-virus and checked for a virus, all to no avail
    Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-06-22)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for all of your comments – the netbook was apparently quite fast when new, so presumably the installed 1GB of RAM is adequate - it runs quite cool. I have a desktop machine – the netbook will only be used for the internet when away from home and holding photographs. I have looked up the link to the HP recovery page and have some questions. Factory Reset states removes all partions – does this include the recovery partition and if so is it re-installed. It looks as if Minimised Image Recovery is the best option.

Thanks
    A Factory Restore usually resets the hard drive back to it's new, out-of-the-box state . . . including the recovery partition.

--

HP Mini 210-1000sa PC Product Specifications
    Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately)

Optional re-allocation of recovery partition

Recovery CD/DVD creation tool
    Last edited by SpywareDr; 2013-06-22 at 14:22.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-06-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I must agree with the comments on available memory. To be honest, I wouldn't run XP on 1 GB, for decent performance, let alone 7. Couple that with the sub par hardware of netbooks (cpu, disk) and the overall result cannot be that good.
    Rui
    -------
    R4