New Lounger
    Thanks

Partitioning external hard disk for separate backups

I have two 1 TB Western Digital My Passport that I want to use for imaging my desktop PC. I use Acronis True Image. The images would require much less than that space. If I partition the 1 TB, will Acronis permit me to select a partition for an image, leaving the other partition[s] available for subsequent images? or will it hog the entire Passport, wasting all that space? On previous smaller PCs with smaller external HDD, it did only permitted one image on the HD. Maybe the partitioning will result in drive letters that Acronis will recognize as separate drives?

I do plan to alternate the two HDD, so that I'll always have an accessible image if one of the backups fails. Of course, if both HDDs fail, I'll be SOL.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, unlike a clone, an image, with few restrictions, will go wherever there is enough room for it because it's just another file to the computer and each partition will be assigned it's own drive letter. There is little point in partitioning just for additional images though. One partition for images, other partitions for other stuff if you like.

Thanks
    In my case I just created separate folders for 3 different PCs. I did not partition the Ext. HD.

If you do have a problem with the partitioning and storing Images, you can always remove the extra partitions and go back to one partition, but as F.U.N. has stated it should work just fine, whether you use separate folders or separate partitions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Your backup program (whatever one you use) should allow you to Name your backup image file, so you can have many of them on a large external drive, like 1TB.
    This would allow you to keep multiple backups, in case one should fail, you can use another one.
    From the OP's original post it sounds more like making a CLONE image rather than a true backup image file.

I use Ghost 11.5, not Acronis, because when I tried Acronis, several years ago now, it just didn't fulfill my needs.
    Ghost lets me name my backup files and select three levels of compression. I use FAST compression for my daily/weekly backups and HIGH compression when backing up to a Flash Drive or DVD.

I say this to the WS audience inclusive, not just the OP...... If your Backup Program is not doing what you need for it to do, then change programs.

On the subject of partitioning an External drive,,,,,,, There is really only one reason to have partitions in an external drive and that would be to have partitions in different formats.... like, one in NTFS and one in FAT-32.
    Otherwise just leave the entire drive in NTFS format and use Folders to separate data by dates or categories. KISS!

For instance, I prefer FAT-32 for data storage. That makes it easier to access the data in an emergency. But I'll have one NTFS partition for storage of files larger than 4 gig.

To save a lot of time and space, I use a batch file and XCOPY to back up my important data files to a USB 3.0 flash drive and also to a 1TB external USB 3.0 hard drive.
    I program XCOPY to only back up new files or files that have changed since the last backup, hence my daily Data backups only take a few seconds.

Happy 4th!

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-07-04 at 09:28.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "For instance, I prefer FAT-32 for data storage. That makes it easier to access the data in an emergency."

Good idea.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone. I had searched for similar answers, but what I found didn't address my specific question. Now I can go back to making my full backups, whether by imaging or cloning. They've saved me before, when a tech consultant destroyed my Windows, and I was able to restore the whole system in under 30 minutes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    P. S. Your responses really helped me think this through more logically. If I'd just gone ahead and partitioned, I'd have to resize the partitions all the time based on the amount of space used by the previous backup and the remaining space. Now, I'll just create root directories [I'm old school] as I go, alternating the drives, and then deleting the oldest directory as needed to continue.

Thanks again.