2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Win 7 admin password

I assigned and wrote down the admin PW when I installed win 7 Home 64 on my wife's computer last year. She just uses her computer with a login PW for every session and we have not needed the admin PW until trying to install a new printer. Admin is my job. I have been using this admin PW (from a gravestone nearly random) for years on sequential installs of new operating systems in my home (not exposed to the internet) and felt comfortable doing that.

Neither the remembered PW nor what I wrote down (I'm 73, I write things down) is accepted in any permutation. Is there any way to recover this PW or am I doomed to do a re-install of Win-7 when we get back home?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Check the post by RetiredGeek, here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-main-password
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try this when I get home on Sunday. I do have a recovery disk, the one that OS installation recommends but not specifically a PW recovery disk. I don't know enough to know whether PW functionality is available on the general recovery disk.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    I will try this when I get home on Sunday. I do have a recovery disk, the one that OS installation recommends but not specifically a PW recovery disk. I don't know enough to know whether PW functionality is available on the general recovery disk.
    It's not. In theory, password recovery shouldn't even be possible.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a common problem - with an easy answer. If you Google "linux windows password reset" you will find a host of solutions providing a download of a Linux boot disk ISO which you can burn to a CD which will allow you to reset (i.e. blank) the Administrator password. It will not allow you to discover what it is currently set to, but blanking it will allow you to log in with no password.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirig is correct about passwords but I remember from my Navy days of having to record any changed safe combinations in the CO's office so that the safes could be opened by somebody else if I failed to return from a flight. Computers in a home office really don't need passwords under most circumstances but we are invited to set them and we do. At my age, I come back but a password set months ago and not written down does not.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Stone angel, good morning. >>> Computers in a home office really don't need passwords <<<

I find that if no PW is set, one can not LAN his machines. What say you ?

What were you flying ? F-86 here. Jean.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Cherub,

Passwords are necessary at home if you're going to schedule anything (don't know about LAN - I've forgotten), but it's not necessary (at home) to re-enter them at login. See this link:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...y-startup.html

You could then use a private, secure note in Lastpass to record the password for future changes, etc. I still require a password for laptops, etc. ,though.

Zig

Thanks
    That doesn't provide any real protection if your laptop is stolen. A Windows 7 password can be cracked in less than 5 minutes.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a problem trying to live simply in a complex world. I vaguely remember something about needing a PW to guard against attack from the net. Being a quintessential paranoid, I set one as a general rule and this time my safeguard against losing it failed but you folks have given me a work around.

I flew P2 and P3 patrol aircraft.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are many free Linux bootdisks which can be used to recover Windows 7 password, such as Ophcrack, chntpw, etc. But as long as you have a system repair disc, you can use it to change forgotten Windows 7 password without using any third-party software. Check out the instructions at this link: http://www.top-password.com/knowledg...-password.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have the installation cd handy, just follow the steps:1. Place your Windows CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
    2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
    3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
    5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
    6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”
    Use the up and down arrow keys to select your windows installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.
    7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
    8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”
    9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.
    10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.
    11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
    12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).
    13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved. I downloaded the isolinux repair utility, deleted the admin PW and re-set it. I am going to keep Ikeroberts suggestion, it could come in handy.

End of thread.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub