2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install Excel 2003 on Office 2010 Laptop

I have a Dell WinXP desktop that came with Office Basic Edition 2003 installed, for which I have the unopened disc that came with the computer. I just purchased a Toshiba Win7 laptop that has Office 2010 installed from a disc that I do not have (purchased by a friend and good for three computers).

Can I (will the computer let me?) install Excel 2003 on the Win7 laptop from my unopened disc and still keep the Office 2010 installation on the Win7 laptop? I find Excel 2003 much easier and faster to work with than the 2010 edition because of the learning curve (at my age), but I also don't want to lose the 2010 edition that is already installed. I'd like to make, at least for now, Excel 2003 the default on the Win7 laptop.

Robert

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like your asking for problems. Why mix old with new dll's etc ? If you have a newer version stay with it.In theory both programs might install, but there are a lot of common files that would cause confusion and open to lockups and other problems ..you can always contact Microsoft to find out there opinion but I would strongly recommend against doing any mixing of versions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pc2053 For This Useful Post:

rjstorms (2013-08-08)

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you choose to have more than one version of Office installed you should always install the oldest first and then proceed to the newer version. This is to avoid a problem with shared components. In your case you should uninstall Office 2010, install Excel 2003, install all Office 2003 updates, re-install Office 2010 with a custom install to retain the Office 2003 installation.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

rjstorms (2013-08-08)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll stay with what I have - 2003 on XP desktop and 2010 on W7 laptop. I don't want to lose the 2010 on W7 because I do not have access to disc to reinstall it again later when I have more time to learn it.
    Robert