New Lounger
    Thanks

Unresponsive power management settings

I've been watching the Lounge intermittently for about a month to see if anyone else has the problem I've been constantly encountering since the May 21 (I think?) Patch Tuesday. It seems to be unique!

System is x64 Lenovo ThinkPad T420s, about 2 years old, running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. This laptop lives at home, is not networked (It's plugged directly into the router, though sometimes I disconnect and use the wifi.), and usually uses a Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 monitor only, i.e. it's set up to display only on this "secondary" monitor.

Ever since the big May Microsoft Update, the power management on the laptop has been nutty. The system used to rely on the the Lenovo Power Manager software, and I could easily change the length of time before the secondary display (my main one) turned off. Now, clicking on the battery icon on the right side of the taskbar still shows the same options as before, including Launch Power Manager, but if I click on Launch Power Manager, nothing happens. I went to the Lenovo site and updated the Power Manager to the most recent version, 6.54. No improvement.

Now, if I want to change my power settings, I have to use Control Panel and the Windows Power Options. On the left of the Power Options window, I can also see and open the Lenovo Power Manager 6.54 (yes, with administrative privileges). I can even change the settings, both for Lenovo Power Manager and for the Windows Power Options. Things seem to work okay, i.e. if I set my display to remain on for 30 minutes, it will remain on.

However, the minute I manually put the computer to sleep using the Windows symbol on the left of the taskbar, the computer misplaces my power settings. When I wake it up again and start working, the computer dims the display after about 3 minutes of inactivity!

Yes, I've tried fixing this and probably made matters worse. I've done everything from rolling back to a restore point, not once but several times, to updating the various Lenovo tools which came with the laptop, in the hope one would help Lenovo Power Manager to take over again, to uninstalling all the Windows Updates from that Patch Tuesday and reinstalling one-by-one. Nothing seems to help. (Maybe I'm unfairly blaming Microsoft Update!)

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I would have done what you did -- uninstall all of the patches that installed on that day, and then reinstall them one by one.

Since the problem occurs when you put it into sleep mode, why not avoid sleep mode? You said that your laptop lives at home, which means that you never take it anywhere. Therefore, I don't think you gain much with sleep mode, except for a quick power on when you're ready to work again. You could just as easily leave it up and running all the time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I would have done what you did -- uninstall all of the patches that installed on that day, and then reinstall them one by one.

Since the problem occurs when you put it into sleep mode, why not avoid sleep mode? You said that your laptop lives at home, which means that you never take it anywhere. Therefore, I don't think you gain much with sleep mode, except for a quick power on when you're ready to work again. You could just as easily leave it up and running all the time.
    Thanks for your reply!

I'm under the impression I'm saving some power by putting the computer into sleep mode when I'm busy doing something else. I live in Bermuda, where in summer my electricity bill is anywhere from $375-675/month for a 2200 sq. ft. apartment. Every little bit counts!

However, perhaps I need only check/adjust all the possible power saving settings in the "Plugged In" option of Power Management so disk rotation, cards, etc. power down after a reasonable time? Is that what you're suggesting?

Thanks
    Actually, I'm suggesting leaving everything on all the time, so as to avoid the problems which occur apparently when the power saving features kick in.

I'm not convinced that a computer actually uses a lot of electricity; however, in your case, with such a high electric bill, I believe you're right to want to save every penny that you can on electricity. Therefore, in light of all of the power issues you currently are having with your laptop, you may want to consider a clean reinstall of Windows. It sounds like that may be the only way to fix whatever is causing the problems. It sounds like you've tried every other approach short of a clean reinstall of Windows.

And I would consider installing Windows 8 rather than Windows 7. Windows 8 is designed to use less power than Windows 7.

If you go that route, I would suggest that after doing the install, you do all of the Windows updates, including SP1. Then see if the problems persist. If the problems have disappeared, then reinstall all of your software, documents, etc.

Make sure that you have done a complete backup of your computer before doing the reinstall of Windows.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not quite frosted enough yet by the sudden black screen to actually do a clean reinstall. (Some day, when I'm really bored, maybe...)

Thinking back, a similar situation occurred for a couple of months within this machine's first year of life. It was after a Windows Update, and it disappeared after another Windows update. So, for now, I'll just wait and hope. Thanks again, mrjimphelps!