Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard weirdness

Hi folks:

I have a wireless keyboard, had it for a while.

Generally when I am surfing and typing I like to lean my chair back, put my feet up on the desk and place the keyboard on my lap.

Lately it won't work when it's on my lap. Does any number of strange things - all caps, run-on letters, missing letters and printing complete gibberish that doesn't even resemble what I typed. It works fine on the desk.

I've tried reconnecting with the wireless and replacing the batteries - neither made any difference.

TIA,
    ~m

Thanks
    Sounds like something around you is interfering with the keyboard's wireless signal. Is it possible to move the keyboard and/or receiver so they have a direct line of sight?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wondered, but everything is exactly where it has been, basically forever.

I'll try moving things around and see what happens

Thx.

Thanks
    Many types of devices can cause interference including Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, fluorescent lights, microwave ovens, outdoor microwave links, WiMAX, wireless game controllers, wireless video cameras, Zigbee devices, and so on. Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

Thanks
    This might seem very basic, but have you replaced the batteries recently?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does your keyboard's failure while on your lap perhaps coincide with the acquisition of a new phone that you carry in your pocket?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be that either the wireless emitter in the keyboard or the wireless receiver plugged into your computer is simply wearing out. Is it possible to borrow a different keyboard and receiver to test if that solves the problem? Or, maybe the USB jack your wireless receiver is plugged into is failing - unlikely, but possible. Try plugging the wireless receiver into a different USB port on the computer. Or, as suggested by another poster, maybe another wireless device in the vicinity is interfering with the keyboard wireless signal. Did you get a new cordless phone? Or a new wireless router? Are you sitting on top of a microwave oven? (OK, just kidding on that one!)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @cybercrone. Leaning back in your chair and typing with your feet on the desk leads to appalling posture and eventually to back pain.

As one who sufers from a bad back, and had to change from slouching in my chair to sitting upright, I'd recommend that you try to make the change. Not easy to break old habits, but it might prevent future pain.
    George