Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Want reliable, stable email program

I am looking for a reliable, stable email program that is not Microsoft software. Their Windows Live Mail has crashed on me for the last time. I am tired of it deleting everything in my email addresses and stored folders and recovering it under a "recovered" folder. The name is always changed and folders are truncated. I am so frustrated and no longer want to use their email software. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am willing to pay for a software program as long as it is user friendly and I can import my existing folders and emails into it.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I don't know if Mozilla Thunderbird will do exactly what you want or not. I've been using it for awhile and it works fine for me. I use it to POP/SMTP Windows mail with no problems.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Odos270 For This Useful Post:

Branny (2013-06-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I prefer Mozilla Thunderbird http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/. Its free and very reliable for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thomasjk For This Useful Post:

Branny (2013-06-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for Thunderbird.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using Thunderbird for over three years under Win 7 (OutlookExpress before that under Win XP), and have never found any reasons to look elsewhere.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am now trying out an email program called eM Client. It looks a lot like Outlook Express and it is free. I am trying it out on a Win 7 and a Windows 8 machine and so far it has worked out well on both. They have a paid version but the free version allows for two email accounts and that works for me. http://www.emclient.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to quaker For This Useful Post:

frankd14612 (2013-06-27)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I prefer Portable Thunderbird to Thunderbird. It is much easier to move around over the years since it is not installed to Windows. Just move the directory to any place you like, even a thumb drive for portable use anywhere. I even set it up to work on one directory accessed from several PCs on my home network including a Linux HTPC.

However I have never tried to import mail from other programs. (maybe one of these days I should attempt to merge all my ancient archives of Compuserve and Eudora email - I just left those programs and their emails off in an old directory)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @quaker:
    Thanks for the lead to emclient. As you say, it does look a lot like both Outlook Express and, as I note, the older versions of Thunderbird. I won't switch from Thunderbird, but with any friends who are unhappy with Windows Live Mail I'll recommend emclient.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you want a pop 3 not an imap solution

i use eudora
    downloads all emails to my pc where i control them

thunderbird may be the latest version
    i got eudora 7.1 for free as a requirement to use fios
    when my older paid version of eudora did not have a way to work around fios's roadblocks

thunderbird should be good too
    i just dont like upgrading to versions higher than i have to have
    (if it aint broke i dont fix it)

i still have hotmail and every time they make a big change i get forked for a couple of weeks
    one more time and i will find a pop3 program that will download all my imap emails onto the pc
    and avoid the hassles that cowboy coders cause us

Thanks
    Imap works better than POP when you want to access your your email from more than one computer or mobile device. If you only use one computer to acess email, I prefer POP.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    imap is slow and a real PITA
    and you have no guarantee that they wont lose your emails

i keep ALL mine for reference
    many times i have found it useful to search through old ones for some info that i needed

pop3 puts them all on my pc where i own then , control them, and can use them when i want to
    much faster and easier

AND i can back them up so they dont disappear as often happens with cloud based imap storage of email

Thanks
    imap is slow and a real PITA
    and you have no guarantee that they wont lose your emails
    IMAP is quick and trouble free on my computer. The IMAP server is an automatic email backup in case of a local computer or hard drive failure.

i keep ALL mine for reference
    many times i have found it useful to search through old ones for some info that i needed
    You can choose to keep all your emails with Imap as well. Many IMAP emial clients also have search functions.

AND i can back them up so they dont disappear as often happens with cloud based imap storage of email
    Any reference to cloud based IMAP loosing Emails? I have never experienced this but have had clients lose thier POP email because they didn't back it up.

That said, I use POP on my ISP based email, mainl because they don't offer IMAP and back it up. The choice of IMAP vs POP is really user preference. As I said in an earlir post, the main advantage of IMAP is that you can acess and sync your email from multiple devices. With POP, the email is suckedon to one device and is not readable on a second device unless you can set the POP server to keep a copy. This option is messy to maintain.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After a lot of review, I migrated to Thunderbird from Eudora when they stopped development. I migrated all the mail with it. While one may like the idea of sticking with the version that works, in today's world, not keeping Internet applications current is inviting trouble. Old versions with unpatched flaws are red flags for hackers and viruses. I've seen this in action.

I also migrated many years of Palm calendar into the Thunderbird Lightening calendar plugin. That took a couple of steps. You can also sync that to things like Google calendar online if you want.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW - I don't know about Live Mail but Outlook and Outlook Express both saved all their data in one big file. Big issue if it gets corrupted. Programs like Eudora and Thunderbird don't make this mistake.

But do have a backup. Like digital photos, email tends to migrate from a casual amusement into key personal records. Its easy to set up on todays computers and external drives are cheap.

Thanks
    1 more vote for Thunderbird.

I have mine setup to retrieve e-mail via POP on 4 accounts;
    2 on Cox.net, 1 G-mail, and 1 work private-domain.com

Also use MozBackup weekly to save all my account settings, address books, and e-mail folders.
    Been doing this for 5+ years with no problems.
    Last edited by lostwages; 2013-06-27 at 14:16.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast