Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Network Discovery

In Win 7 I share certain folders with my friend. We both have Win 7 Pro, 64 bit in my case and 32 bit on my friend's machine.

Both machines are members of WORKGROUP and of the same HomeGroup with the same HomeGroup password.

I can access shared folders on my friend's machine and she can access shared folders on mine, with one exception. I have a folder with over 2,000 subfolders. The folder is shared and the permissions are set to Everyone read only and full control for me. I have just added a subfolder to the main folder and I cannot copy it to my friend's machine. I do not have this problem with any other subfolder. When I try to access that subfolder om my friend's machine I get the access denied message. I opened Network and Sharing Centre on my friend's machine and found Network Discovery was turned off (and yet she can access all the other subfolders). I turned on Network Discovery on my friend's machine and saved the change but she still can't access the subfolder concerned, and when I open Network and Sharing Centre again Network Discovery is shown as off again!

I would appreciate guidance as to how to resolve this problem.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, you are describing exactly the problem I intermittently saw with Win 7. When I upgraded both PCs to Win 8 using a clean install, this problem seemed to be almost gone.

When the problem cropped up, it sometimes seemed to work if I ran the Network troubleshooter. The problem was there whether I used HomeGroup or Workgroup. Sorry I don't have any better answer for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I found that starting the UPnP Device Host service solved the problem.

Hope this helps others.

Regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Lounger
    Thanks
    did you set the permissions on the new folder to shareable? If you add a folder/sub folder under a shareable folder, it is not automatically shared.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I now have a different problem. I can access all but one shared folder on my friend's desktop, and she can access all but 2 shared folders on mine. The folders concerned are not subfolders, and the sharing permissions for the non accessible folders are exactly the same as those for the accessible folders. Furthermore, I have set up HomeGroup on my desktop, and when I open HomeGroup on my friend's desktop I get the invitation to join, as expected, but when I enter the password (and I am definitely entering it correctly) I am told "Windows cannot set up a HomeGroup on this computer" (or words to that effect) and running the HomeGroup troubleshooter on each machine achieves nothing.

I am really fed up with HomeGroup problems, and would rather leave the Home Group, but before I do I would appreciate guidance as to how to set up sharing between the 2 desktops without any Home Group involvement, including a list of the Windows Services that need to be running in order for sharing to work properly.

I should add that both desktops are members of a WORKGROUP.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume when attempting to set up the home group, you are running the same OS as the second system and they are both 64 bit. You did check 'permissions' and 'effective permissions' on both systems?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Both systems are Windows 7 Pro with SP1 and all updates installed, but mine is 64 bit and my friend's is 32 bit. Does this make a difference?

I checked permissions on both systems, but not effective permissions.

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Lounger
    Thanks
    Both systems are Windows 7 Pro with SP1 and all updates installed, but mine is 64 bit and my friend's is 32 bit. Does this make a difference?

Not according to Microsoft Technet, but there a few suggested tips worth trying there, as this and printer sharing appears to be a problem..

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have raised my query on the Microsoft TechNet Win 7 Networking Forum, and will let you know what they come back with.

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft TechNet just referred me to the Microsoft Answers forum, and they haven't responded yet.

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a feeling that I am not going to get any useful help from the Microsoft Answers forum. I didn't when I asked about problems uninstalling Windows Live Mail a while back.

Since my post #5 I have left the HomeGroup and disabled the Homegroup Listener and Homegroup Provider services on both machines.

I would now appreciate a reminder as to how to set up sharing between the 2 desktops without any Home Group involvement, including a list of the Windows Services that need to be running in order for sharing to work properly. (satrow gave me a lot of useful information about this a while back, but I can't find the thread concerned).

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Roy,

The easiest way I've found to share on a local workgroup is to create accounts with exactly the same UserId & Password on each machine. They do not have to be the main user account! Then when you create a share you allow Authenticated Users to have access.
    AuthUsers.JPG
    You can even hide the created accounts from the logon screens so they don't confuse people. It takes a Registry Entry but no biggie.

Hidden User Accounts

You can make a user account disappear, yet remain a full functioning account. This is useful for standard networking {no Home Group} on Win-7 The process does involve a registry edit.
    Normally when you log into Windows, you see the startup screen where you see all the icons for the users who have accounts. We are going to hide an account from this screen. If you want to log on as this user you have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen to make a Windows Security dialog box appear. Here you can type in the user name and password of the hidden account and log in. Limited Users shouldn't be able to see any sign of you except for the listing in the Documents and Settings folder. Other administrative users will be able to see your hidden account in Control Panel/User Accounts, so keep this in mind when you're planning this out.
    Before you begin with the instructions you should back up your System.
    1. Start, Run and type regedit and click OK
    2. Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlis t.
    You will not see this folder if you do not have show hidden system files turned on.
    3. Create a DWORD value, right click on the User list label file on the left side of the screen and select New>DWORD. You'll see the new entry in the right pane of the window, rename this value the name of the user account you want hidden (exactly how it is listed in the Startup screen, case sensitive) and leave the value at 0.
    4. Close your Registry Editor.
    5. Restart the PC.
    When the Welcome screen comes up you'll notice that there's no icon for the user you just concealed. So how do you log in? This is where you press Ctrl+Alt+Del 2x's and the Windows Security Dialog box will come asking you to authenticate (name/password) after this the system should log you in.
    Here's one more thing you might want to keep in mind—Windows logon screen. This is the screen where you see the available users you can choose to log in as. You can turn this option on/off in the User Accounts (Start/Control Panel/User Accounts) then Change the way Users log in or off and Use Windows Welcome Screen and you need to turn it off if you plan on using a hidden account and there are no other accounts on the system. The reason why is, Windows doesn't have any user accounts to display in the Welcome screen, so it will continuously reboot. Now if you do run into this or any problems simply enter Safe mode at the next boot, this will allow you to go to the User Accounts Window and fix any problems. If you find that you can't log in at all with your hidden account go back and look at the registry value you created. Make sure you're spelling the user name is correct and that it's in the right location in the registry.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-07-02)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, I truly appreciate all the trouble you went to in giving me such a detailed explanation. However, I did not want to set up another User Account on either computer as this would mean the creation of all the folders that go with it, and presumably the creation of a desktop for the new user. Having said that, I opened Properties for the folders concerned, then opened Sharing (not Advanced Sharing), added Everyone and allowed Everyone full control, and then my friend and I could access all the shared folders on the other person's computer, so problem solved. Why giving Everyone full control in Advanced Sharing didn't solve the problem is beyond me, i.e. I would have thought that Advanced Sharing would take precedence over Sharing, but that's just another Microsoft quirk I suppose.

Best regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe that also sets the security option as well? I was going to ask if you checked the permissions under the security tab as well but no need if this took care of it. Also in advanced sharing settings for a network there are settings that pertain to using either Homegroup or User accounts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Roy,

The only problem with Everyone is if someone get's on your router they have access to your files. I'm just sayin'....
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs